1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

2009 trip - back to the drawing board

Discussion in 'Itineraries' started by Debbie2, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

After a trip to hospital with DS midweek our June trip looks like it will not happen :sigh:

Briefly DS completely broke his femur in November and had two operations, spending two months in hospital and has been recovering since at home. X rays showed, again, that the screws are coming loose and surgeon is going to need to operate at some time this year to remove the metal work. He is still non-weight bearing and were expecting this to change on Wednesday. We now have to wait another six weeks for more x rays and to see how things are then. DS also had an operation on his ankles last March and they have decided those screws need to come out too as they have serve their purpose and are now protruding through his heels.

Surgeon could not give us any idea as to when surgery would take place (as late as possible, allowing the metalwork to support the healing for the longest time possible).

DS health and return to mobility are our priority but can't help being disappointed and the not knowing what/when things are going to happen is stressful.

We are very limited as to when we can go this year. DD has her GCSEs and wants to be home for results, she starts a new college in September and doesn't want to miss the start of term. She is 17 in September and that classes her as an adult which makes it more expensive.

Actually thinking of changing to Xmas as the only other option at the moment but is so much more ££££

We only have till start of May to cancel/amend our booking
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

argh I really feel for you :( it's no fun having to amend. The only thing I can say is that Christmas really is magically wonderful there and there'll be loads more to do at Christmas than in the summer (in my opinion)

3. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

So sorry hun.:hug2:

Hope you get something sorted that suits everyone.

Big hug for DS too to get him better quicker.

4. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Oh Debbie :hug2: l am so sorry. Your poor son having to face yet more surgery. You have to do what's right for your family. Just wanted to give you a huge :hug2:

5. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Thanks all. I already have US 7 day passes and booked/paid for a stay in the HRH (hope that can be amended). There are just so many obstacles and dates we can't go this year - that's why June/July was perfect for us - and the price was excellent too.

I do like the idea of Christmas (but the price is scary). DS should be better by then (fingers and everything crossed) as it will be a full year since he broke it. He has brittle bones so they break easy and take ages to heal. It gives the medics plenty of time to operate and for DS to recover. I want him to be mobile/weight bearing again before we go.

It's not the end of the world - just a pain not knowing what's going to happen.

6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

:hug2: really sorry you are having to amend, hope you can sort something out and that it doesn't cost the earth.

7. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Sorry to hear it Debbie, that's really hard on all of you. Hope you are able to get something sorted.

Christmas would be really lovely! :hug2:

8. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

well I hope he feels REALLY guilty!

:hugs:

9. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

Oh no, I'm so sorry hunny :hug2:

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:hug2: Debbie. I hope everything works out ok.

Did you book directly through HRH? If so, I know you can cancel up to a couple of days before you go and get a refund.

11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

:hug2: Sorry your plans have to be changed, Debbie. You already know that your DS is more important than a holiday and if he is in good health and physical condition, everyone will enjoy the holiday more.

The holiday season at WDW is magical. I much prefer it to warmer weather. The weather can be variable--quite warm to downright cold (by my standards--Dawn will disagree with me!), which actually makes it more interesting!

:fingers: that everything goes well for your DS's recovery.

And wish your DD good luck on her exams! :)

12. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Thanks all

Johnie, yes we booked HRH through Marie so hopefully she will be able to amend our date for later in the year. We are looking at Christmas now as we have never been that time of year ..and do like the idea of a cooler trip (always been July,Aug and Sept).

Final decision needs to be made 8 weeks before trip when we can amend or cancel and start from scratch (insurance will cover cancellation as we booked last April and DS broke his leg in Nov). We will amend dates with VH as we used £500 of vouchers and will probably not get them refunded.

That would take the pressure off, giving surgeons time to operate again and DS time to recover and start walking again....and time to save up the HUGE difference in price

13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

sorry to hear that Debbie, i know how it feels to have to keep changing plans, hope everything works out for you :hug2: