Thread: Could the California Grill at the Contemporary be Closing?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a rumour that the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort will be closing at the end of 2012.

Now, whether this will be just a refurbishment or it is in fact closing for good no-one seems to know. The only thing that is definite, is that the Contemporary needs some repairs to the roof.

So could we see a new restaurant taking it's place, what do you think?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the real problem with CG is that the food and service quality is not consistant, so who knows....

Post Thanks / Like
    Closing totally IMHO would NOT be a good thing. I like that place. Refurbishment, certainly as I think most of the Contemporary main building could stand to be refurbished.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah we've made some great memories at the california grill. This christmas eve once again I sat there, great bottle of champagne, watching the fireworks.

It IS inconsistent :/ and some of the building is starting to look at little weathered. They've done a great job refurbing the rooms, but you can't help thinking that the actual building may need some work.

Nevertheless, it would be very sad if it was to close completely and frankly I can't see it happening. The restaurant is one of the few Disney restaurants recognised and talked about outside Disney.

Although of course, it wouldn't be the first time Disney had surprised me

One thing is obvious, Disney are out to increase the spend and one way to do that is by taking the restaurant prices up. I could see them wanting to open an even more expensive restaurant there given the great view.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The contemporary is one of the few hotels I visited during my time at Disney, and I have to say that although the inside is nice (Apart from the monorail station which in my opinion makes it seem like an airport rather than a hotel!) the outside of it just looks awful. They should just do something with the outside before they think about closing the California Grill. Even a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The look of the contemporary has always been a bit love/hate I think
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll vote for it to go. We had one of our worst meals ever (for WDW) at the California Grill, and that was for one of Herself's birthdays.

Yep. Close it. Gut it and bring in a good restaurant. One that is consistently good, I mean.

The Contemporary isn't so contemporary anymore, that's true, but it's still a pretty darn good example of ground breaking construction and architecture.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing that shocked me most about my one and once only visit to the CG (apart from the worst server I have ever encountered anywhere! Lol) was the state of the firework viewing area. Not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't what seemed to be a concrete service area covered in bird poop! So maybe if they started with a clean up out there ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 270433
    The thing that shocked me most about my one and once only visit to the CG (apart from the worst server I have ever encountered anywhere! Lol) was the state of the firework viewing area. Not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't what seemed to be a concrete service area covered in bird poop! So maybe if they started with a clean up out there ....
    We viewed the fireworks from the roof of the contemporary and I have to say I agree!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't like the CG but love the contemporary, it's the hotel the monorail goes through... Sooo cool