Thread: for skywatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi - been reading your posts and the photos are incredible

Wanted to ask how to start star gazing but on a limited budget. The telescopes and even binoculars arent in my budget :(

How can we find out what we're looking at in the night sky? are there easy to use maps? bright objects we can get a fix on?

Post Thanks / Like
    good question! I'll be interested in the reply

Post Thanks / Like
    me too but with scopes for around 2-250 quid and what type, refractor or reflector..for planet watching etc
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Eeyoreguy, sorry not replied sooner but not been about much today.

Thank you for your kind words about the pics - I assure you they are nothing compared to what some have achieed and there is still so much more to see and do.

There is a lot you can see and do with no equipment at all - I still get a great deal of enjoyment from just finding my way around the sky with the naked eye, picking out constellations and planets, if you can get dark skies with no light pollution then even galaxies and nebula are visible with the naked eye ( the andromeda galaxy for example is 5x or more the width of a full moon), and the orion nebula isvisible as a fuzzy patch just below the main belt of 3 stars.

I would star with a magazine or a basic text book - I subscribe to the Sky At Night magazine (this month features a particularly good image of saturn on the cover disc in the hotshots section ;) ) and each month they have a guide about the months viewing that is aimed at all levels of knowledge along with starmaps.

The next step would be a pair of binoculars, my pair are 10x50 Bressers that cost me 9 from lidls - they come on offer there once in a while and I will let you knowwhen they are next in stock - they usually retail for around 25-30. Withthem you can get decent views of the moon, nebulae - star clusters and brighter galaxies - but remember all ofthese are really just grey smudges.

You will be disappointed if you start with the premise that you will see through the telescope the sort of things in my pictures - they are the result of multiply stacked long exposure photography or avi's that have been chopped up into 1000's of subframes and then stacked.

Planets are seen as discs at low magnification (I think gallileo spotted jupiters moons at only about x40) but the size of the image is small - even at mads of about 200x the planets look like a new 5p on a dinner plate field of view.

Anyway in answer to your initial query I would start with a magazine and if you can stretch some cheap bino's - if you look on the net you will find an Astronomical society near you and I am sure the members would be only too glad to let you look through their scopes - Its what I should have done before I spent my first wedge.

PLEASE DON'T buy anything from Argos or the daily newspapers they are cheap plastic with poor optics and rubbish mounts - you will see nothing and be put off for life.

As regards which scope - perhaps we should ontinue this on the other thread