Thread: Disney Cruise Line - Exploring Ketchikan, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you've seen the top five things to do in the ports of Skagway and Juneau on Disney Cruise Line's seven-night voyages to Alaska, it's time to take a look at the frontier town of Ketchikan. Known as the "Salmon Capital of the World," Ketchikan is renowned for its fishing, unspoiled natural beauty and colorful Native culture.

It is Alaska's first city and a gateway to remarkable outdoor adventures.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of our ports of call is Ketchikan, too! I don't know how well I'll fare trying to take photos (you know how useless I am at that) but I'll post any that seem to come out nice.

:D :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 270758
    One of our ports of call is Ketchikan, too! I don't know how well I'll fare trying to take photos (you know how useless I am at that) but I'll post any that seem to come out nice.

Any photo will be good :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 270758

Ohh... who are you cruising with Tink?
    Did I miss it somewhere?

Tom (... interested...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ketchikan is pretty cool. We cruised there in 2006. We took a jeep tour into the mountains.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh nice photo, 'skip! We are really looking forward to this cruise. It's something we've wanted to do for a long time.

We are hoping to be able to have some Alaskan King Crab while we are there. I've read a little about it and it's seasonal so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be there when it's in season.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Great photo 'skip, thanks for sharing.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the photos Dan!

What time of year did you cruise there? Just wondering about temperatures and such.

Tom (... dressed in layers...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! We were there in August of 2006. It is sort of weird. I never ever thought I would go to Alaska, although I thought it would make an awesome trip. I got an offer to go there for a NASA workshop in July and it worked out that I was able to go back a few weeks later on the cruise (25th anniversary).

Ketchikan is a cool place. We awoke early in the morning as we were pulling in to tender. There were tons of seaplanes taking off and that is what woke me up. The sun was just beginning to rise over the coastal range. We got off the tender and walked around the town for a while. There is a section of old restored building I guess from the goldrush days in town. They are on stilts over the creek. It was the old red light district and we toured an old brothel there. The creek had a run of salmon.
    We saw eagles everywhere. They were bald eagles but we did see one golden eagle too.

We then got our tour started. I got to drive a jeep four wheeling on old logging roads above the town in the mountains.

The weather is cool, I wore shorts and dressed in layers and was quite comfortable. Word to the wise for all taking the trip...get some good rain gear. They get over 200 inches a year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 270802
    Ohh... who are you cruising with Tink?
    Did I miss it somewhere?

Tom (... interested...)
    Yes, when are you planning on going?