Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to take on self catering trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys

A friend of mine is off to Disney in May this year for the first time and are going self catering in a villa. They asked me what they should take with them and I wondered if you guys had any tips.

As someone who takes everything but the kitchen sink I have given them some advice, but I'm sure many of you will have some better ideas of what to take. I do know someone who takes food with them from the UK, I'm not that bad.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i would take from home myself is tea bags, the rest i'd buy out there. You can get tea bags but i think they're rubbish (sorry American friends!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We took a jar of Marmite last time and found one in the cupboard when we got to the villa.

Seriously unless you desperately can't exist without it then you don't need to take anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id imagine its very different to staying in a caravan where you have to take everything - its kind of home from home isnt it? you just need to take the little things - i think i'd take tea bags and probably not much else actually!

Post Thanks / Like
    i take flash wipes to clean with, t bags, marmite and infacare. you can buy all your regular stuff in the foreign section of the supermarkets but it is very expensive, in march 2010 a small botttle of robinsons cordial was $7 !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just take teabags if you like tea.

We provide a few dishwasher tables, soap powder ( liquid actually) bin liners etc to last a few days.

You will be able to buy whatever else you need once you arrive. It's really not worth taking it with you as you can pop to Walmart and have a good nosey about and pick up the bits you need while you are in there

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a very comprehensive shop on McLeod (just north of Universal Studios) called International Food Club. It's not a true club, and is open to the public.

If you need something you can't find in the international section of Publix, look there. They have tons of stuff and prices are quite reasonable (including frozen meat options like bangers and pies, ect.).

Tea? There are tons of imported teas here. PG TIps is one of our personal favorites, but if you have one you think you can't live without then bring it along.

Otherwise, simply enjoy the differences between the two countries and seek out some US foods that you will love and miss when you go home! (I have a huge list of Irish foods I can't wait to have again when I return).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I have to ask, what kind of tea do you bring over ?I mean the brand name. We have an extensive Uk department at Wegmans although they are having difficulty with shipping at the moment but we have a huge selection of British and Irish teas. Do they sell Twinings in the UK or Bewleys? What am I missing that I should look for?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Yorkshire tea, yes you can get it there but it's quite expensive, I'd love to hear you say bangers Tink lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my tea and I always used to take yorkshire tea or similar with me. I noticed though that the main failure of US tea making in restaurants hasn't normally been the tea rather the preperation. They tend to use hot not boiling water and as we tea drinkers know ;-) it must be made with boiling water. Then add half and half or, gulp, cream, rather than milk and you have a useless cuppa.

When made properly, even normal US lipton/nestea can be ok

Anyway I agree with everyone else, you don't need to take anything much since you'll be able to purchase it out there without it taking up room/weight in your luggage.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast