Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you all think about DVC? just curious...

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night I spoke with a Disney rep that called me up because I had watched an online video about it. We live here in Florida and have been to WDW many times, but hoping we can do more as our younger kids grow up. Just wanted to hear from real live people who can tell me what your experience has been with DVC?

Post Thanks / Like
    My DW and I became members back in 1992 and I reckon it was one of our better decisions.
    In those days the cost per point was only around $50 and Disney threw in free park admission until 2000 in order to generate interest in DVC.
    By now our original investment has paid for itself over and over again as we have used our points to fund loads of stays at on-site resorts as well as a Disney Cruise.
    Even though we now own a villa in the Orlando area, we still use our points for a bit of on-site luxury on those days when we want a Disney "fix" when on vacation.

Tink is also a Florida resident and has been a DVC member for almost as long as myself so now doubt she will be along to give her views for you...she`s away for a few days though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much! Can't wait to hear more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMama, post: 272950
    Thank you so much! Can't wait to hear more.
    I always go back and forth on it. I don't much fancy the annual fee bill popping through the letterbox. I'd be happier for fees for a villa that I owned and could go and visit, but somehow although dvc try and say you own a bit of the magic, I don't feel that way if it makes sense.

It didn't help that we had a couple of friends who were always moaning that they had to phone up on a certain date to try and get the resort they wanted and it was hard to get this and that place. The points required for a room went up, the fees went up and it was all we heard for a long while.

Having said that, the numbers make absolute sense especially if you stay, or fancy staying, at some of the larger rooms or upscale Disney hotels. In fact the only thing for certain when you work out the numbers is that, as everyone says, the earlier you do it the better! for example, we've been pondering it for years and in that time the point fees have gone up massively, some of the ownership periods have gone down although of course, there are new fancy smancy resorts to choose from too!

So I guess I'd say if you do research it all and feel it's for you, do it quickly and enjoy it :)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you- they sent me an email..but do they want to talk to you in person or on the phone before they explain the points system? Because in the little email with pictures, that was never mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMama, post: 272956
    Thank you- they sent me an email..but do they want to talk to you in person or on the phone before they explain the points system? Because in the little email with pictures, that was never mentioned.
    They'll definitely want to talk in some fashion :)

My experience with DVC sales is that theyre very professional, not at all pushy like some of the other timeshare people can be. So it's not a concern to talk to them

However they've got their salesy training and they go through a process with you. So I tried asking to see the huge book with all the places and points in it, they let me have a look for a minute then took it back and gave me smaller and in fairness easier to read, leaflets. They dont really make a big fuss about all the points and you have to book this so many days out and blah blah.

So its very much a "you buy this many points and happy days, you get to stay there for x days a year :)" rather than "ok so you have this many points and they'll go faster if you stay at weekends and blah blah"

Don't get me wrong, they're fine. I really dont think they're pushy but like all people selling this type of deal, they're very a-b-c about it ;-)

eg. I started one session by saying "I'm not signing today ok but I AM interested and WILL consider everything you show me" (because of bad experiences with other similar sales pitches) and ARGH its like that just lost them entirely because their whole thing is if they dont buy TODAY they probably wont (fair enough but I'd never be that person so....)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Keith, you just explianed it well enough that I'm not as confused as I thought. lol Ok, I feel better just in knowing that!

Post Thanks / Like
    We are DVC owners and have kept our membership even though we now live only 20 minutes north! For us it's wonderful. We go down and stay for holidays, special events, or just because. We've used it for family who come and wouldn't otherwise be able to stay at WDW.

I can't say enough good about our experiences with DVC!

One rule you must not be talked out of: BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY!!!! If you want points that are no longer available at places like OKW ( or other sold out locations) either buy resale or tell Disney that you intend to buy resale. They sometimes are able to come up with those points!

Do love our DVC.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMama, post: 272956
    ..but do they want to talk to you in person or on the phone before they explain the points system? Because in the little email with pictures, that was never mentioned.
    The points system can be a bit confusing at first but when you get the hang of it, then it`s fairly straightforward.
    Basically the system works as follows:~
    1. You purchase an annual allocation of points at a cost of $x per point. [There is a minimum amount that you can purchase....I think around 150.... and a maximum also.]
    2. You are allocated the same amount of points each year which you can spend as you wish at any of the accommodations in the DVC folio.
    3. You can bank points from one year to the next to give you a maximum of double the amount of points available to spend in your "use year".
    4. You can also borrow points from your following use year, again to increase the amount you have available to spend in the current year.
    [A word of warning though...if you don`t bank, or use your points in any year, then they are "lost" for that particular year...if that makes sense!]
    5. Each of the Disney resorts have 4 "seasons" throughout the year with varying levels of points usage during each season.....obviously much higher during recognised holiday periods such as Christmas. So you can get more use out of your points if you use them during the less "expensive" times of the year.
    6. The points required per night at any given resort have hardly changed at all since we joined in 1992, however there have been a few minor adjustments, mainly by changes in the dates of the various "seasons".
    7. Each year you are billed for your Annual Dues which is based on $x per point that you have purchased.

I hope all that hasn`t confused you too much, but just holler if there is anything you are still unsure about.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish we'd bought 10 years ago when we first thought about it but hindsight is a great thing LOL. Every now and again i look at it and i just can't seem to get it to work for me. DH isn't as keen about WDW, he will go but doesn't want to be tied in.

There is however another way to stay in the DVC resorts a lot cheaper than the rack rate but it is a bit of a risk. Renting points off of members, you can do that on some forums or through a broker which is a bit more expensive but more secure.

eg a week in a studio at Bay lake towers is around 145 points in early december, i can get this for about 994 by renting privately, through a broker it is around 1353. It's 2191 to book through disney as a non DVC member.

Just throwing that in there... not an easy decision though LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast