Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new dog?

Post Thanks / Like
    We've always really wanted to get a dog but somehow never got round to it.

Well talking about it again now but no idea what would be a good choice or even how to go about starting to look.

So, what questions should we be asking ourselves? and what are some good choices?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm...

Well we considered the cost of keeping a dog - vaccinations, food, vet bills, etc.
    Our lifestyle - we're both out of the house during the day now but our dogs were adults when we started doing that. When the dogs were puppies I was at home a lot more to look after them. Also I don't mind long walks so it doesn't matter that we have active dogs because I can wear them out.
    Do you have a garden? How big is it?
    Do you mind having dog hair all over the house?

All that sort of thing you have to think about. After taking all this into consideration we tried to approach local rescues which are full of dogs. They all said no to us because we have a small child so we settled on cocker spaniels. Our house is now a tip and dog hair is a condiment but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 273162
    We've always really wanted to get a dog but somehow never got round to it.

Well talking about it again now but no idea what would be a good choice or even how to go about starting to look.

So, what questions should we be asking ourselves? and what are some good choices?
    We had a dog at home, she was a rough collie called Marnie and I loved her to pieces, so much so that I always said I would have one when I had a home of my own. Then I met Chris and he gets asthma so we've never had one.

We've got friends that have dogs and they are wonderful company, but of those that have, only one works. I never think it's fair to leave a dog at home all day on its own, they must get very lonely. The person who works leaves the TV on all day

You have to ask yourself lots of questions I guess, how big a dog would you like, short hair or long hair, what breed, male or female and even pedigree or not.

Will you have someone to look after it when you go on holiday or will the dog have to go into kennels this is something else that needs to be thought about. These can be really expensive for a good one, our friends have just booked their Parsons' Terrier in and she is paying 380 a week

I'm sure someone will have a much better idea than me though

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks :) I'm just at the very start of research so I know nottttthing at all.

A couple of people have said dont go to the rescue places unless you're experienced with dogs as many have behavioural/emotional problems which need experience to deal with someone else said only ever get a mongrel, they live longer and happier.

Always liked collies but I guess they're too large really for where we live at the moment
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a puppy from a breeder, be sure to get a Kennel Club registered puppy. If they're KC registered you know that they haven't had too many litters (as they can only register 3 litters from any one *****) and you also know that you're getting a pedigree puppy. A lot of people think you only need a pedigree puppy/KC puppy if you want to show or breed, but the way I see it, is that if you've chosen a particular breed it's usually because you like the looks but most importantly the behaviours of that breed and the way in which they fit into your life.

If you then go and get a puppy that's not KC registered, A.) You don't know for a fact that they're that breed and therefore may grow up to look nothing like them, or behave nothing like that breed, and B.) You have no idea how many puppies the dam (Mummy dog) has had!

You also know that they have done relevant health checks for that specific breed. If you want to know the health checks the right sort of breeder will have done for a specific breed, your best bet is to check that breed's specific breed club. As a general guide, hip scoring, elbow scoring and eye testing is an absolute minimum. As far as hip scores go, you want to find out the breed's average hip score and only buy a puppy from a dam/sire with a lower hip score than the breed average.

As a pet home rather than show or breeding, you want to look for a pup from a mixture of working and show lines because this gives the ideal balance between trainability and conformation to the breed.

The above doesn't apply to all breeds- Border Collies and certain strains of some breeds may not have undergone the same health checks and won't be able to be KC registered.

I've made the whole buying a puppy thing seem really boring, but I've done a lot of research before buying Nando as I wanted to get the right dog. www.champdogs.co.uk is a fantastic resource if you're looking down the buying a puppy from a breeder.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a new puppy, She is a basset hound. we have had her now for 5 months and she is the most loving and loyal dog i have ever had, she is great with my 3 yr old son , and even quiet obienant. ( apparently bassets are hard to train)

She is now alot bigger than in the picture below. but she is great.

Kate

[IMG]file:///y:/My%20Pictures/pop3.jpg[/IMG]

1999- Orlando villa holiday
    2000- Orlando villa holiday and married at lake toho.
    2011 - animal kingdom lodge club, first trip for our son age 3
    2014-planning stages.

Post Thanks / Like
    just trying to upload the pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

1999- Orlando villa holiday
    2000- Orlando villa holiday and married at lake toho.
    2011 - animal kingdom lodge club, first trip for our son age 3
    2014-planning stages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 273168
    Thanks :) I'm just at the very start of research so I know nottttthing at all.

A couple of people have said dont go to the rescue places unless you're experienced with dogs as many have behavioural/emotional problems which need experience to deal with someone else said only ever get a mongrel, they live longer and happier.

I mean so many generalisations and really hard to sort fact from fiction.

Always liked collies but I guess they're too large really for where we live at the moment
    The whole 'hybrid vigour' thing is a MASSIVE myth- one that I believed myself. Unfortunately many 'backyard breeders' (I.E people in it for the money or who want to 'let their dog have a litter before getting her spayed') will breed popular pedigree dogs in order to make money. Have damaged the reputation of pedigree dogs. When bought from a proper breeder who does the right health checks and is breeding for the right reasons, you will get a healthy dog who fits the breed standard and doesn't go to extremes (Like some pug breeders who selectively breed them for short snouts which give them breathing problems.)

Instead of a mongrel 'avoiding' the problems of both parent's breeds', they instead can inherit both health problems and in fact are more likely to do so. If you buy a mongrel, you don't know which behavioural traits it will pick up, you don't know how large it will be, you don't know for certain what it will look like. All of these things make it quite hard to decide whether it will fit in with your lifestyle; the amount of grooming and exercise it needs, how easy it will be to train etc etc.

If you buy from an experienced breeder, you'll have a good idea about what it will grow up to me and about it's suitability for your lifestyle. Of course the necessary health checks will have already been done and they'll be there for a lifetime of guidance and advice about what to expect at each age.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    we have a cavalier king charles, she is sooooo cute, she is 6 now and we had her from 8 weeks. they are so kind and docile. great as a family pet. when we looked in to getting a dog it was simple because we knew we wanted a cavalier, the only thing was to make sure she was born into a home. her mum was a well loved pet too, not a breeding machine. some *****es dont leave their barn!! we didnt want that, so we got in touch with the kennel club and they put us in touch with breeders in our area.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast