Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new dog?

Post Thanks / Like
    both our boxers have had the same heart condition and both from kennel club registered well known breeders,our first was 7 when he died and this one is just 7 now. The interbreeding to keep the breed to its standards multiplies the risks of such defects. I would not buy a pedigree boxer again as its too much risk. I would go for a Heinz if I was choosing a dog now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 273179
    both our boxers have had the same heart condition and both from kennel club registered well known breeders,our first was 7 when he died and this one is just 7 now. The interbreeding to keep the breed to its standards multiplies the risks of such defects. I would not buy a pedigree boxer again as its too much risk. I would go for a Heinz if I was choosing a dog now.
    A good breeder would not choose a dog with any inbreeding, at the very least they shouldn't for at least five generations. The Kennel Club has a tool on its website that you can use to check this very thing when considering a possible mating. What was the heart conditions- is it hereditary and is there is test for it? If so- I would be speaking to your breeders as the test should have been done.

I know aortic stenosis is something that a lot of boxers suffer with- it is hereditary and there is also a test available for it. A good breeder would not have bred from a dog with even mild heart valve problems because as far as I know if the parents have even the mildest valve problem, the puppies could still have a severe one. If you went for a heinz, you'd have no way of knowing which breeds where in it and frankly could end up with another dog with the same problem. If you don't know what breeds are in the mix, then you certainly won't know if their parents have been tested. If there was a boxer in the lines that hadn't been tested then you could well end up with a dog with a hear valve problem. Even worse if there was another breed that suffered from it in there- it would increase your chances.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Cocker Spaniels!

We've got two. Both of them came from a local Cocker Rescue organization and we couldn't be happier.

Here's one of them. This one is Sherman and he's my buddy.

He's also got more personality than a lot of people I know.

[ATTACH]10466.vB[/ATTACH]

He's resting. He does that well.

He's also smart as a whip. Scary smart sometimes.

The only thing with Cocker's is that you've got to keep their ears clean. If you don't they can be susceptible to ear issues.

Tom (... they're like our children!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I would never purchase a dog. I have always had mutts of some sort. I am also partial to large dogs. Alysia, however, likes itty bitty dogs.

As a cat and a dog lover, cats are easier! They aren't as needy However, nothing boosts ones self esteem as having a dog be UBER excited when you've come back after 3 minutes

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had several dogs in my adult life. A doberman, a walker, a blue tick hound, and a redbone. I was a big dog snob.

Then, one day a woman walked into the place I was working with this scruffy little Yorkie tucked up under her arm and I complimented her on it. She handed him over and said, "here. You want him?" I was stunned, but took him.

He was the SMARTEST, bravest dog I've ever had in my life. He was a lurcher thief though and would eat anything at all (which is what did him in :( ). He trained quickly, had spirit and was the only dog who'd look me right in the eyes without quivering or any other nonsense.

Can't bring myself to have another. Hurt way to much to lose that little guy.

Decide how much time you can spend with the dog. Decide what temperament you want. Decide if you want a big dog, medium, small... Research the breeds that look promising to you and be sure you know quite a bit about them and what to expect before you say yes. Is the breed known for nervousness? Herding? Assertive? Work dog? Hound? Etc.

Having a dog is a beautiful thing, Keith. But be prepared. You will fall utterly in love.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom! I LOVE the photo of your pup!!! Too wicked cute!!!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    how about a retired racing greyhound?

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/a...regionId=north

Post Thanks / Like
    Retired greyhounds make absolutely fantastic pets. I wanted to rehome one before I got Nando but noone would let me because of Niamh.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 273181
    Cocker Spaniels! We've got two. Both of them came from a local Cocker Rescue organization and we couldn't be happier. Here's one of them. This one is Sherman and he's my buddy. He's also got more personality than a lot of people I know.He's resting. He does that well. He's also smart as a whip. Scary smart sometimes. The only thing with Cocker's is that you've got to keep their ears clean. If you don't they can be susceptible to ear issues.Tom (... they're like our children!)
    Fantastic photo! I have to say I'd never liked spaniels until one day I met a cocker spaniel in the park who had such a lovely nature that it changed my mind!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoying trying this out:
    http://animal.discovery.com/breed-se...og-breeds.html

And yes, I'm one of those people who leave the tv on for Arthur all day. However, that's due to my current living situation. When we lived by ourselves I would make sure he had plenty of water and sometimes leave the radio on.

I think it's important to think about allergies. While I had thought about a very large and furry doggie, I have allergies. Arthur is a non-shedding dog, which makes both of our lives better.

Also, I would think money...it's simple. Bigger dog=bigger bills (i.e.: vet, food, grooming, and boarding).

[ATTACH]10467.vB[/ATTACH]

I couldn't help but add picture. :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast