Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new dog?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 273329
    Dont mind you disagreeing Josh!
    Im not sure what sense you mean "firm handling" in? I think owners who have dogs like GS, Rottweilers etc need to understand them and their needs before they can handle a dog like that properly. So many people take on the bigger dog and dont understand them and that is when the trouble begins. But thats my opinion!
    I think anyone who takes on a dog needs to understand them, no matter what their size. I can see where you are coming from, but don't think it's specific to any one breed. I suppose society does expect bigger dogs to be better behaved. I think the trouble is that a smaller dog sometimes 'gets away' with things a bigger dog wouldn't.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had two dogs in my life, a German Shepherd who was quite rambunctious and tough on my sister and brother (both younger than I by 5 and 10 years respectively) and a Toy Collie. We had to give the shepherd away and I cried all the way home. I honestly don't remember what happened to the Collie but I think he died after I went into the military.

DW is a cat person so since I have known her we have had cats. I would love to have a dog but our present cat was traumatized by dogs and children while with her former owner. If I got a dog I would love to have a Lab but Donna favors poodles.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 273364
    I've had two dogs in my life, a German Shepherd who was quite rambunctious and tough on my sister and brother (both younger than I by 5 and 10 years respectively) and a Toy Collie. We had to give the shepherd away and I cried all the way home. I honestly don't remember what happened to the Collie but I think he died after I went into the military.

DW is a cat person so since I have known her we have had cats. I would love to have a dog but our present cat was traumatized by dogs and children while with her former owner. If I got a dog I would love to have a Lab but Donna favors poodles.

ooh you could get a Labradoodle! That would solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 273365
    ooh you could get a Labradoodle! That would solve the problem.
    You beat me to it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith, you have had a lot of good advice here, so I just wanted to add a little thought of my own. I know that many people will say that you shouldn't take on a rescue dog as you don't know what problems it may have, and of course, in many instances that is true. Some of these issues are small, and some are a bit more difficult to deal with. However in the current climate there are many many dogs who are being handed into rescue care because their owners can no longer afford to keep them, and therefore their background and temperament is fully known. All they need is a loving home. A good rescue will be very upfront about any issues, and if you require a particularly placid dog for example, or a high energy one, then they can advise you on suitable matches.

This is a good site to get an idea of what is available in rescue, and the rescues on there are known to the people who run the site, and meet certain criteria:

www.dogpages.org.uk/forums
    (If I am not allowed to post links you're the guy to tell me, and I'll remove it immediately )

If you look at the bit where they show Dogs Needing Homes you may get an idea of what you do and don't like, and whether a dog has "issues" or not. I have found that one excellent advantage of getting an adult rescue dog with a known background is that they are already fully trained! And if you have a Dog's Trust nearby then it may be worth popping there for half an hour to have a look at the dogs in real life, see how you both feel about them. You may just fall in love with one.

The main things I would consider are:
    Puppy or not? Are you prepared for puppyhood?
    Holiday care.
    How it would fit with your particular lifestyle (I know that, for example, unless we take the dogs we just can't go out for a whole day anymore).

Anyway, that's my too penn'orth!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell you what I HAVE learnt... Dog owners are passionate about the breeds they have. Don't go asking a big dog owner about smaller breeds or vice versa. Recipe for utter disaster

I think, given it would be our first dog and the amount of space/time we have, that a smaller breed would be a better fit. (although subjectively, I like the look of larger dogs like the shephards, collies etc.)

There's no young children to worry about so that's ok. I'm not particularly bothered about the cost, more bothered that we don't get a dog that would be bored with its lifestyle or unhappy in any way.

Intelligent would be good, not particularly yappy if we can avoid it LOL
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 273385
    Tell you what I HAVE learnt... Dog owners are passionate about the breeds they have. Don't go asking a big dog owner about smaller breeds or vice versa. Recipe for utter disaster
    Exactly I have always had totally different types of dogs and they all have their plus points! Thank goodness there are so many breeds to suit everyone! After all, if we all only liked Angelina Jolie then Cameron Diaz would feel ignored wouldn't she?

(my smilies aren't working, so you will have to put your own smilies in)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 273391
    Cameron Diaz would feel ignored wouldn't she?
    as long as I'm alive, Cameron Diaz will never be ignored :)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 273399
    as long as I'm alive, Cameron Diaz will never be ignored :)

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a small dog, how about a tea cup Chihuahua?

This one is my daughters. His name is Goliath.

[ATTACH]10483.vB[/ATTACH]

And yes, based on his name, my daughter has the same twisted sense of humor that I do.

Tom (... just sayin'...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast