Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new dog?

Post Thanks / Like
    Girl dogs don't wee up trees. Just sayin'...

They do however come into season every 6 months if they are not spayed and that involves a bit more work on your part to keep her clean and away from the boys. Just one other thing to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Stinkerbell has her stitches out today... she won't be having babies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 273546

They do however come into season every 6 months if they are not spayed and that involves a bit more work on your part to keep her clean and away from the boys. Just one other thing to think about.
    The other downside to a male dog is that they often get their.. um.. 'bits' out when they are about 6 months old. I agree with neutering/spaying both male & female dogs but I'm not getting Nando done until he's about 18 months. Our terriers were done on vets advice around 6 months and I just feel it's pretty unnatural. They have that sudden influx of hormones for a reason; to help them grow and mature, yes it makes them a night mare for a few months but I'd have HATED my mother if she got me neutered just because I was a bit of a nightmare teenager

Plus the hormones help them to stop growing, a male dog neutered before at least a year will often go a bit spindly and gangly. I also found that my earlier neutered dogs attracted so many 'complete' males as they were sort of intrigued by his smell! However my friends dogs who were rescues and therefore not neutered until they came to the rescue at 3/4 years old, didn't have this problem!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 273585
    if she got me neutered just because I was a bit of a nightmare teenager
    Now there's a thought.

I'll have to share this with my daughter as way to deal with my teenage grandsons.

Tom (... just trying to help her out...)

Post Thanks / Like
    We had Willow neutered after her first season. All that 5am dog walking before all the other dogs got up was not fun. However by the time we had Lucy vet advice had changed and she was neutered before she had her first season. You can see the difference between the two. Willow had hormonal development and behaves like an adult dog. Lucy will be a perpetual puppy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 273546

this whole post could also apply to girl/boy children :D

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have today off of work so I actuallly get to be here for a change

I just talked to someone the other day about adopting a retired hound off the track and we're considing it since they are wonderful animals and with me working, training and housebreaking a puppy just won't happen for now.

I also highly recommend checking out the shelters and considering a rescue dog to give a home to. All of ours have been rescues and over the last 35 years or so we've only had one dog that had to be return because he just couldn't get along with our lab. At one point (along with 2 teenagers) we had 4 dogs, 3 cats, and a stupid bird that were all rescue animal so beware of falling in love and wanting to take home every critter you see

Post Thanks / Like
    What was wrong with the bird?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 273670
    What was wrong with the bird?
    He was a budgie that kicked seeds all over the place (out of the bars of his cage). The person who owned him was going to just take him outside and let him go which with all the hawks and owls around here would have been certain death. A friend of mine took him in and then she got tired of the seeds all over and was just going to drop him off at a shelter.

SO, I took him and spent a LOT of time using the vacuum In order to let him have some flying time out of the cage I had to take him in my office and close the door since the other critters would have tried to catch him and possibly hurt him. I swear that bird knew just when he was going to poop and used to always fly to my shoulder just in time to do it and it drove me crazy!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast