Thread: AMD vs. Intel i7

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm giving some serious thought to a new computer. I want a quad processor but don't know whether to go with the AMD or the Intel i7. Any thoughts? Thanks

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 273286
    I'm giving some serious thought to a new computer. I want a quad processor but don't know whether to go with the AMD or the Intel i7. Any thoughts? Thanks
    you know, at this stage in the game for most people, the choice is largely subjective.

Both work, both are compatible.

Many years ago, I went through a series of AMD cpus. They were then, as now, cheaper for the same power and so seemed like a deal. Well I had no end of little problems with them. That of course has massively put me off and I've never used them again.

However I know many people who swear by them and spend less than me when they buy a new machine because they'll go AMD.

Sooooo there we go. My unfair, subjective view, buy the i7 but I can't give you a shred of good evidence as to why you should
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Keith.

And the only evidence I can offer is that I support about 80,000 workstations. We've had no end of problems with the AMD machines. Especially when it comes to things like firmware. So, now our standard image machine is all Intel.

Once burned, twice shy.

Tom (... or... there's another option... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 273308
    I agree with Keith.

And the only evidence I can offer is that I support about 80,000 workstations. We've had no end of problems with the AMD machines. Especially when it comes to things like firmware. So, now our standard image machine is all Intel.
    See that's exactly it. Was it just that we had so many machines we were bound to catch the smallest bugs? I dont know :/ but either way, I dont trust them

Tom (... or... there's another option... )
    yep ;-) I must say even running windows on my macs, theyve been 100% perfect
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an i5 and I'm really impressed with the speed and performance. A friend bought one for his son for Christmas and that has an i7 in it, to be honest I didn't really notice any difference in performance to mine and trust me, I'm always being told off by Chris for doing too many things and having too many programs all open at the same time

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an AMD in my current laptop and am seriously considering the i7 for my next one. I don't know if it is the processor in my current computer that is slow or whether it is because I don't have enough memory, as I like Wendy, tend to have a lot of stuff open at once.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in price though.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Our desktop is an AMD, but it is fairly old now and when Chris was looking for my laptop, he wouldn't even look at AMDs, I don't know why though I can ask him when he comes home.

John, if you were to go for an i7, you would not in any way at all be disappointed.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.