Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone in the US help me with a Muppet Wotnot purchase :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 274890
    No , I just know my place :)
    good for you

that usually makes life much easier for all the involved ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Movement !! - he is now out of customs with 'charges' and is now being processed through the system - I'm trying to get ahead of the game and pay the charges before they post the letter to me - but at least we are making progress

Speaking to someone I know apparently this happens if you use USPS/Parcelforce and the average wait time at customs is a week as the UKBA cannot cope with the amount of parcels delivered every day.

It almost never happens with UPS or other carriers so - if you are considering total carriage costs always add the extra time and cost on in your head as well

You live an learn

anyway - not too long now I hope :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 274949
    Speaking to someone I know apparently this happens if you use USPS/Parcelforce and the average wait time at customs is a week as the UKBA cannot cope with the amount of parcels delivered every day.
    Odd. I've never had that happen before when I've sent things to Slowhand at Christmas time. At least not to that degree. When I sent their package last Christmas, I believe it was one week door to door and that was also through the USPS. I'd think the backup during Christmas would be monumental.

As far as VAT is concerned, we'd have to ask Terry about that one. I always declare their stuff as gifts also and he's close mouthed about what bite the tax man takes.

Now, from this colonials perspective, VAT, while useful to help fill the government coffers is something that I, when sending gifts, find particularly offensive. If I'm sending a gift to someone, I really don't want them to have to pay a tax on it. That seems to defeat the purpose of a gift. I know, I know, "if that were the case, everyone would be sending it as gifts". However, it seems to me that if the object in question is addressed from one individual to another and declared as a gift, they might just be able to see their way clear to let it slide.

Tom (... overtaxed...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree entirely Tom and they use these times of 'Austerity' to bleed every penny from us

They now tax everything over 40 value and as I said they add on the copst of shipping - i.e darn near everything will now get ht with a tax and when that occurs you also incur nearly 20 worth of 'handling fees' - so the price we pay to free it from the grips of customs could easily equal the cost of the gift in the first place, if not more

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 274964
    I agree entirely Tom and they use these times of 'Austerity' to bleed every penny from us

They now tax everything over 40 value and as I said they add on the copst of shipping - i.e darn near everything will now get ht with a tax and when that occurs you also incur nearly 20 worth of 'handling fees' - so the price we pay to free it from the grips of customs could easily equal the cost of the gift in the first place, if not more
    Insane!

No wonder this kind of thing caused such a ruckus back in 1773!

Tom (... have a cuppa...)

Post Thanks / Like
    badgered parcelforce into giving me the customs code, rang up and paid using the touch tone keypad came to 26

Said delivery date may be tomorrow

I will not hold my breath, I await a letter and a series of phone calls where I try and explain that I have paid the customs charge using the automated system

Despite the fact we have house guests the next week I will still try to post picks as and when he finally arrives :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 275003
    came to 26
    Almost $41.00 US? Insane!

Tom (... and I thought our taxes were bad...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok get this

Because I paid for the customs charges early by ringing up and getting the clearing code it has confused the system and wasn't booked in properly to the local depot. As a result it didn't get booked in today or out for delivery, so as a result it will be out next week 'hopefully Monday '

This country oi

Still it inches ever closer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 275083
    Still it inches ever closer

Tom (... teach you to mess with the bureaucracy!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 275003
    I will not hold my breath, I await a letter and a series of phone calls where I try and explain that I have paid the customs charge using the automated system
    I wish you luck if that happens.
    [CENTER]

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast