Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 30490
    I'm so over the Dream Teams chock full of pros. Takes away from the Olympics as far as I'm concerned.
    We aren't the only team using professionals. But personally I think it should be college kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 30739
    I agree entirely - don't really aggree to Tennis being part of the olympics along with football and baseball TBH

I am loving these games though
    Football (soccer) is limited to age 23 and under. But each team also gets 3 wild cards, so Brazil, despite all their success at the World Cup Level, but has never won an Olympic Gold has brought in 3 of their World Cup Squad, including Ronaldhino (SP).

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 30769
    We aren't the only team using professionals. But personally I think it should be college kids.
    True, we're not. But it seems we're doing it to the most fanfare. Did you *hear* the Chinese crowd when Kobe Bryant made his appearance at the opening ceremonies? I guess I just had a *real* problem with that.

We were watching the ceremonies, and Andrew asked, "Why are so many of the athletes taking pictures of themselves and video taping the crowd? Don't they know the crowd is there to see them?" Made me think. No they don't. For the most part these are just athletes who have an extraordinary drive and work hard...the fact that they are *there* representing their country is probably, in many ways, surreal to them...and they don't want to forget a single moment of how it felt. THAT is the spirit of the Olympics, IMO. And while the Kobe Bryants of the games are apparently within the letter of the law, it certainly seems to be lacking in the "spirit". Just my own personal opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I don't think professionals should be allowed in the Olympics.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, me either but I already said that!

I don't care what country uses pros, it's not the true Olympic spirit. I liked it far better when only amateurs were allowed.

Time changes everything. Some for the good, and some for the not so good.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Soo...this makes interesting reading now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345