Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World's Art of Animation Resort to use RFID

Post Thanks / Like
    When Disney’s Art of Animation Resort opens this summer and the Resort’s Guests will be one of the first to experience Walt Disney World’s NextGen project — the room key. Instead of the traditional card keys, Guests at Art of Animation will access their room via RFID.

It is thought that the RFID will be inside a patented, resizable and customizable (probably for a fee) wristband known as the MagicBand. It won’t just be your room key, it will also be your ticket, if you remember, a test has been carried out using the RFID for admission at Epcot. It will have the details of your dining plan, you will charge items to your room, anywhere you would normally use your key card the Band will be used instead.

What concerns me about this is that Disney will know everything about you, where you are, what you eat and drink, what you like to buy, whether you are at a ride or with characters. Disney can place their readers anywhere it wants to within the Walt Disney World Resort, so your every movement could be tracked.

What do you think about Disney’s plans, do you think it will be a good thing or is it just simply a case of Big Brother is watching you!

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... not sure I like this one.

I was perfectly happy with my KTTW card.

Tom (... prefers a bit of privacy...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Takes lazy to a new level when we can't be bothered swiping a card!

I don't really know the range of these things but I bet Disney would want to track our moves round the whole Disney area, how many times we leave their domain, when we come back and so on.

Who knows if other people will be able to grab the wireless data

This one really feels like we're giving up too much for next to zero gain
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Tom on this one. Not sure I like it either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the sound of it, I wonder if Disney will just use the information for their own use, or if they will "sell it on"

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly hope they wouldn't sell the info!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I for one do like the idea!

Its so har to manage small kids, strollers, snacks, purchases AnD room keys!

When getting a fast pass for Winnie the Pooh Tońo forgot my card! Ant Tatiana needs a card because she pays but is in no way capable of managing it herself.

Wristbands would really come in handy! ;) As for knowing everything about you, if it will make your experience better in any way (maybe special discounts, surprise fast passes, and whatever they can come up with feared specifically to you) Im all for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that I wouldn't be able to lose it as easily and it's convenient but don't like the potential to track my every move, it could tell them how many times I go to the loo! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 276182
    I like that I wouldn't be able to lose it as easily and it's convenient but don't like the potential to track my every move, it could tell them how many times I go to the loo! Lol
    It would be part of toilet paper monitor no?

Im not sure about the wristband and I quite like the card and still got it in my wallet

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that sounds like it might be a good idea to me is that if a child were wearing one they could be found if they were lost???

Nope, not going to have a "tracker" installed on me, no matter what the purpose. It just simply offends my sensibilities and I ain't doin' it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast