Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help educate me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Herself and I will be going to Vancouver, BC this fall and then on a cruise to Alaska. As a result we'd like to purchase a new camera. I've tormented our Keith to death with questions and we've pretty much made the camera selection.

However, I still need some basic education.

What is RAW and how does it differ from JPEG? Should I be asking what JPEG is too?

Let's start there, ok?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The scenery on that trip is going to be breathtaking!!!

simply, if you want technical ask Keith

JPEG is a type of file which is the result of the camera processing the photo in camera. i.e. if you put the camera in auto it will work out what the best settings are for the photo being taken. Works most of the time but you have no control and the camera is fooled by certain circumstances.

RAW is as it says really the raw photo- no processing has been done by the camera, this means that you can manipulate the photo and process it yourself using a computer program.

RAW allows you to control the photo more BUT takes up a lot more space on the camera card/stick, i think it's about 3 times more space. I take photos both RAW and JPEG together as my camera allows this, if i like what the camera has done i will use the JPEG and delete the RAW but if something major needs changing i.e. if the exposure is out then i edit the RAW.

Does that help? which camera are you looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Canon EOS Rebel T3i...

Ummmm... I think I understand.

I'm the point and shoot sort, letting the camera do the work. I can manage a bit if it's fooled by something obvious.

Herself is the one with the talent and understanding. She has an old Canon (film) with a zoom lens that is a sin to waste, but it's an oldie.

So, off we go into the 21st century. I was happy with a nice point and shoot but she's always wanted an EOS.

The scenery is going to be phenomenal, isn't it? The eagles, whales, other birds, mountains... we do need something decent.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    then that camera is perfect for both of you, you can put it on auto (shudder) or use one of the programmes according to what you're taking a photo of and herself can play with the fancy stuff. Perfect. PS make sure you both read the manual well before you go and practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's our usual way...read to the nth degree and discuss. LOL. I am an auto sort of person. I gave it a bit of a try to learn about photography with Herself's original Canon and I have to say it bored me to tears. I am NOT a patient person. The only patience in me is directed toward my residents. :D

Gadgets? They need to work with minimal fuss and NOW. :D :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that's why I have no patience out of work lol

Post Thanks / Like
    OH! I thought of another question.

What does a "noisy picture" mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks quite speckly, I think electrons cause it. You can reduce it with an editing program. It happens when you up the ISO on the camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Im rubbish with manuals - they use another language to me!! I have a read through but i learn best on my own - unless i get really stuck then i ask on here!

I learnt the other day that if you are taking photos of scenery then the landscape setting should be used as it keeps the whole picture in focus, but i hadnt been doing that as i was using the ia setting which had been focussing on an object - which explains why alot of my photos werent as sharp as they couldve been

Post Thanks / Like
    Think of the "auto" setting as training wheels for the lovely new bike you've purchased but aren't *quite* ready to ride on two wheels just yet. Auto will allow you to get where you're going, feel really great about the ride and enjoy the scenery along the way...all without being stressed out about falling or crashing :) As you gain more confidence and "play" around with settings, you can take the training wheels off and REALLY feel the wind in your hair :) The T3 will be a BRILLIANT camera to grow into! (Did Keith say whether you'd be able to use Herself's lens that she has for her film camera?)

One thing I've found helpful over the years....if I find myself in an unhurried spot (in other words, scenery or a static setting of some sort...or an event that will be going on for some time) I will take a load of shots initially on auto, to ensure that I've preserved the memory and then I'll switch over to manual and have a play. This way...I have some really nice shots to share with friends and family (us!) but I can also play around with different settings and compare them to see how a setting changes a photo. Does that make sense?

Can't wait for the photos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast