Thread: Bob Iger Confirms The Avengers 2 Movie and Marvel Based Theme Park Rides

Post Thanks / Like
    Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that after smashing through the record books with its $207 million domestic opening weekend and ruling the world with over $702 million grossed to date, Walt Disney Studios is working on The Avengers 2.

Iger also said the company's theme-park engineers have "ramped up" design work on Marvel-based attractions for parks in California and overseas, though none is likely to be added at Walt Disney World because Universal Orlando holds exclusive theme-park rights to key Marvel properties on the U.S. East Coast.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 279105
    Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that after smashing through the record books with its $207 million domestic opening weekend and ruling the world with over $702 million grossed to date, Walt Disney Studios is working on The Avengers 2.

Iger also said the company's theme-park engineers have "ramped up" design work on Marvel-based attractions for parks in California and overseas, though none is likely to be added at Walt Disney World because Universal Orlando holds exclusive theme-park rights to key Marvel properties on the U.S. East Coast.
    Hmm, if Disney owns Marvel, I wonder how Universal can still own the rights. Seems like legal should be working on this one.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 279127
    Hmm, if Disney owns Marvel, I wonder how Universal can still own the rights. Seems like legal should be working on this one.
    It may be that Universal signed a long term contract with Marvel before Disney bought them. Then Disney either had to take Marvel with the contract in place or walk away from the whole deal. I'm sure the penalties to get out of it would have been substantial. If that's the case however, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the Marvel contract with Universal is up. Bet it won't get renewed.

Of course I have no idea of any of that is actually true. It's just idle speculation on my part.

Tom (... what do you call 1,000 attorneys at the bottom of the ocean. A good start. Sorry Keith!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It was all part of the agreement John.

Universal's deal with Marvel gave it exclusive use of the Marvel characters in theme parks east of the Mississippi.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ride and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster are perpetual deals and its license for existing IOA characters is in perpetuity.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney didn't try and buy them out at some point in the future though.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's the Disney spirit, let's stop being creative and nick ideas from elsewhere and let the lawyers sort it out

Whirrrrr goes uncle Walt in his grave

Post Thanks / Like
    They need something for the boys. Boys (and girls) love super heroes! I want them to buy the rights to Wonder Woman and then I may just die from giddiness

Post Thanks / Like
    Im pleased that they wont be having marvel characters at their parks - i dont want to see them at Disney!!
    I like the fact that they are at Universal, it makes the parks very different

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 279145
    Whirrrrr goes uncle Walt in his grave

Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 279198
    Im pleased that they wont be having marvel characters at their parks - i dont want to see them at Disney!!
    I like the fact that they are at Universal, it makes the parks very different

Tom (... shares the same opinions...)