Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ipad questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, they are not cheap. And that is the beauty of them. Proportionately, the iPad is not the better value though. I'm not "dissing" iPads, mind it's just to me they are more of a luxury than the necessity that a laptop is (or could be).

Hope that makes sense!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely makes sense (even at 6:24 in the morning)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a stupid question, but you can share easily from an iMac to an apple laptop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 279317
    Maybe a stupid question, but you can share easily from an iMac to an apple laptop?
    Oh absolutely!

And to an iPad or an iPhone or... you choose.

There are a couple of ways. First is Apple's new iCloud. With iCloud you can have what they're calling "documents in the cloud". What this means is that if you've got iCloud enabled applications on your devices (Apples own iWork suite for example), your documents automatically get synced between your devices using iCloud. My only problem with this approach is that Apple is not giving us (so far), any options on what gets synced and what doesn't. I want and need more control than they're offering. Again... at least so far.

However, there's another way that I much prefer. At least right now. That's by using Dropbox. With Dropbox, you install a little application on all your devices. Now, any files that you put in Dropbox on one device are available on your other devices. There's only one minor issue with this approach. Apple's iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) don't work with it natively. There's workarounds you can do or additional products you can get that will allow you to do it but right now, it's a bit of a pain. Of course, if you're only working with the iWork suite, syncing to iCloud may be all that you need.

Finally, there are specific applications that DO allow you more transparency between your devices. Things like "Noteability". If you're just looking to take notes and keep them in sync across all your devices, something like this in combination with Dropbox is probably the way to go. This app (which only runs on the iPad or iPhone) can sync your notes to your Dropbox account as an RTFD document. This format includes text, images, and even audio. Then, on your Mac, you can use the native RTF tools on your Mac like TextEdit to edit the document. Put it back in your Dropbox and it's available again everywhere.

There's really no "perfect" solution yet. Everybody's just starting to hop onto this "cloud" bandwagon. Things will get better, I'm sure. Apple I think will have to provide more user control over what goes into iCloud. Services like Dropbox will continue to improve their integration. Right now, most of it is in it's infancy. I'm sure it'll get better!

Tom (... kind of long winded. Again. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 279314
    I totally understand what you're saying.

If I buy the iPad, I still have to buy a keyboard and mouse for the office. There goes another 100-150 dollars. It's so hard to stomach the $949 of the latest apple laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 279315
    Yes, they are not cheap. And that is the beauty of them. Proportionately, the iPad is not the better value though. I'm not "dissing" iPads, mind it's just to me they are more of a luxury than the necessity that a laptop is (or could be).

Hope that makes sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 279316
    Definitely makes sense (even at 6:24 in the morning)!
    Wait! Don't do anything quite yet.

If you can wait until next month, the Apple Worldwide Developers conference happens June 11-15. They have always announced new products there. There's currently rumors of an overhaul to the Macbook Pro lineup. Supposedly making them more Macbook Air like. And even one rumor floating around of a new Macbook Air in Q3 targeted with $799 price tag. This to compete with the Intel Ultrabooks that are coming. Whether it actually happens or not is anybodies guess but I'd certainly wait to see what comes out of WWDC next month.

Tom (... patience grasshopper!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 279314
    If I buy the iPad, I still have to buy a keyboard and mouse for the office.
    No mouse. Remember, it's a touch screen device.

For a keyboard/case type of thing, there's the Zagg ones. There's others. Lots!

Tom (... I just like the name Zagg. I'm easily impressed.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well as an iMac owner and now...ta da...iPad owner I would caution that if you were working with just an iPad I think you would find it a bit tedious being that you would most likely still need a wireless keyboard (if you were planning on the typical work applications, and would not have the mouse to move things along). That being said I was at a NASA workshop and a few of the participants used their iPads with a keyboard and were able to do most everything we needed to do. I LOVE my (ok, now OUR iPad as DW and DD have used it more than I have:tongue and think it is the most incredible device but in reality it is like a palm pilot on serious steroids (IMHO). It is a great source of entertainment and information, but I think that even with the productivity suite titles, you will be better off with the fantastic power book...step up and pay a bit more up front and you won't be sorry.

But I did say it was the coolest invention in the world right?:tongue:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for all the advice/suggestions!

I can definitely wait until June to see what will be new. I will attempt to locate my patience while I wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion: Older iPad and a MacBook. The AND is important. I can't live without either of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooooh, nice info regarding June, Catrancher! Herself wants another Mac Air so we'll be watching to see what plays out then too.

Southern Dad, I like your style!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast