Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ipad questions

Post Thanks / Like
    They are definitely expensive. John, have you looked at the refurbished ones?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 279501
    They are definitely expensive.
    Not necessarily. At least not a lot. If you want a desktop, you can get into a Mac Mini for $599. Add a keyboard, mouse and monitor and you're ready to go. iMac's start at $1199. Notebooks like the Macbook Air or or a Macbook Pro start at $999 and $1199 respectively. Most pc's of equivalent configuration will cost you almost as much.

More expensive that a PC? I don't really think so. At least if you compare apples to apples. Sure, you can get a pc cheaper but you give up capability to do so. At least that's been my experience.

Tom (... just sayin'...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 279499
    I'm still deeply rooted in PC myself. Mainly though, because I cannot afford a Mac that would meet my needs.
    I agree John, when I bought my laptop, Apple didn't have anything anywhere neat as good performance wise. The other huge thing for us is that all the programs we have are for Windows and whilst I know you can buy something to run Windows products on an Apple it just seems a bit defeatist.

I would love a Mac Air but I couldn't afford or justify paying the money for one

Chris has offered to get me an ipad so that it will be lighter for me on holiday, but everything is on my laptop and even though I use dropbox for some things, I think I will find an ipad to restrictive and annoying for typing Keith actually did agree with me on that

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 279506
    I think I will find an ipad to restrictive and annoying for typing Keith actually did agree with me on that
    As do I. If I were going to do any serious typing on my iPad, I'd need a real keyboard of some sort.

Tom (... but it's still as handy as pockets on a shirt!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but as I use my laptop all the time, what would I use an ipad for

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 279506
    I think I will find an ipad to restrictive and annoying for typing Keith actually did agree with me on that
    yeah, having seen how fast you churn things out on that laptop. Of course you could attach a keyboard to the ipad.

but I do agree with everyone, for some people, they could get away with the ipad. My mother hasn't touched her macbook since she got an ipad. For most of us, I think the ipad is GETTING there but not quite there yet in terms of being the only device.

HOWEVER..... price/performance is one of those weird things. I've had toshiba laptops since they were huge and black/white only. Soon as I tried an Apple powerbook(then macbook pro) that was it. I switched.

The feel, the quality the whole experience is in another world. Even if you use windows on it, which I frequently need to do, the hardware is still brilliant.

In my experience they last much longer, you dont feel that upgrade urge etc.

So it's one of those things. Say a dell is 700 and the macbook equivalent is 1000. In my experience, although you'll be happy with the dell for a while, you'll be happier and for longer with the macbook. So over time, it makes up for the initial outlay.

Now, all that is such a total apple fanboy thing to say and I know that's how it sounds too but I really do believe it hand on heart. I'm typing this on a 27" imac (running windows right now). It's a few years old, I guess I should feel like an upgrade but it's absolutely silent in use, fast, reliable, lovely to look at and honestly as close to perfect as I've ever had in a desktop computer.

My final argument you can, and I do, run windows on apple computers. Sometimes I run it in bootcamp which means I'm just using it completely as a windows computer, no mac osx being used, sometimes I'll boot into macosx and just run any windows apps I need in a window (click on them and it just happens). So with any of my mac stuff I can run mac and/or windows depending on what I feel I want/need. On a pc/laptop from another vendor, I can only run windows (or linux etc.) no apple stuff. For me, that flexibility is useful too and worth a couple of hundred extra on the buy price.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 279510
    what would I use an ipad for
    I have mine next to my chair in our den. In the evening when we're watching TV, if an email comes in or I need to look something up quickly, it's right there. I don't have to go turn on my main machine or even get out of my chair. Very handy when my DW says "who's that actor". IMDB is right there with the answer.

Tom (... great for those kind of things...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sad and have no life I watch TV with my laptop on my lap doing things on here as well

I know what you are saying Keith, I have had to have a new hard drive in my Dell and my battery is shot On the other hand Chris' Lattitude whilst being slower than mine is as good as new - maybe that's something to do with the fact that I use mine more than him.

So that's the other thing I am probably on my Dell, about 7 hours or so a day, surely with that amount of use I'm better spending less money and replacing when I need to

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 279514
    So that's the other thing I am probably on my Dell, about 7 hours or so a day, surely with that amount of use I'm better spending less money and replacing when I need to
    Not necessarily. Before I had my macbook I'd get 'that itch' for a new laptop pretty much every year. There'd be some new processor out, or some new software that I liked to use. That's not even taking into account the times I *had* to replace it because through heavy usage my laptops just didn't last that long . Since having a macbook, whilst I've sort of pined for a Macbook Pro, I've never come close to actually buying it because my macbook does everything I want. I've had my macbook for about 3 years now. I must use it for at least 7 hours a day, too.

For example, right now I have secrets open, Facebook open, and mail open. Alongside that I'm making photos transparent in photoshop and adding them to a leaflet in inDesign.

That is on a dual core machine with 2gb of ram. My Dad's laptop is a windows equivalent however it has 4gb of ram, and it is seriously laggy doing any multi tasking. He has to defrag it often and to boot it is about a year and a half 'younger' than my macbook. The mac operating system is just so light.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to computers, you get what you pay for. My daughter has a Power Mac G5 in her room that was purchased in 2003. It still works fine on OS X Leopard. The only changes to it from the time it was purchased is a bigger hard drive.

My daughter's laptop is a MacBook purchased at the end of '06 or early '07. It is running OS X Lion. The only upgrade on this one was additional RAM.

I don't think you'll find too many PC's of those ages still completely usable. My computers are a bit newer because I'm spoiled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast