Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 580

Thread: Apple Anonymous

  1. #211
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent, post: 282509
    You'd think they'd have shipped some to the UK in advance of orders piling up!
    Nope. They'd never do that. Defeats the purpose of a JIT inventory system. Remember that it would cost them to warehouse the stuff there. Why would they spend that money. With a JIT process (Just in time), they can build to order and ship directly to the customer. Cut out the floorplan costs completely. That's why you won't see them stockpile inventory anywhere except the limited amount they have in the retail stores.

    Tom (... floorspace costs money. Lots of money!)

  2. #212
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 282510
    they will have done
    I seriously doubt they'd do much of that if any. I know when I ordered my last 17" Macbook Pro, it was a standard build but it still shipped from China.

    Tom (... cheap, cheap, cheap)

  3. #213
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 282512
    I seriously doubt they'd do much of that if any. I know when I ordered my last 17" Macbook Pro, it was a standard build but it still shipped from China.
    yeah but there's apple Ireland over here and you often find standard builds come from there.... perhaps shipped from china to there before going out to stores and then some customers? :/

    Not entirely sure but I know that I've seen estimated delivery times 1 or 2 days on standard builds in the UK apple store which ship from Ireland
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  4. #214
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 282513
    yeah but there's apple Ireland over here and you often find standard builds come from there.... perhaps shipped from china to there before going out to stores and then some customers? :/

    Not entirely sure but I know that I've seen estimated delivery times 1 or 2 days on standard builds in the UK apple store which ship from Ireland
    Hmmm.... forgot about Apple Ireland. You could be right there. I'm sure they do assembly over there now that you mention it. But I'll bet you anything that there's not a whole load of them piled up in a warehouse somewhere. Last words I heard was that Apple was running around a 74.1 inventory ratio. That implies they're selling their complete inventory every 5 days. Not much room to dawdle in a warehouse with those kind of numbers.

    Tom (... stunning when you thing about it...)

  5. #215
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 282514
    Hmmm.... forgot about Apple Ireland. You could be right there. I'm sure they do assembly over there now that you mention it. But I'll bet you anything that there's not a whole load of them piled up in a warehouse somewhere. Last words I heard was that Apple was running around a 74.1 inventory ratio. That implies they're selling their complete inventory every 5 days. Not much room to dawdle in a warehouse with those kind of numbers.

    Tom (... stunning when you thing about it...)
    yeah they definitely build some stuff over there or USED to at least

    however now you mention it, yeah I heard about that complete inventory every 5 days thing too! so yeah hmmm has to be JIT really
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  6. #216
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 282515
    yeah they definitely build some stuff over there or USED to at least

    however now you mention it, yeah I heard about that complete inventory every 5 days thing too! so yeah hmmm has to be JIT really
    Although that doesn't eliminate the possibility of them doing assembly in Ireland. Especially for Europe.

    Course, as soon as they get their inventory down to a daily turn, then I'll be impressed.

    Tom (... not asking for much. Am I?)

  7. #217
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is, I must admit, the journey from shanghai was the same one the imac took, and it was quite cute to wake up every day and watch the ups tracker to see where it had got up to.

    (although a friend watching his brand new bmw come over from Germany was enjoying that right up until the status said "Exception - Water incursion - Car lost" turned out that the car had indeed been lost overboard...)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  8. #218
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 282518
    Thing is, I must admit, the journey from shanghai was the same one the imac took, and it was quite cute to wake up every day and watch the ups tracker to see where it had got up to.

    (although a friend watching his brand new bmw come over from Germany was enjoying that right up until the status said "Exception - Water incursion - Car lost" turned out that the car had indeed been lost overboard...)
    Well, at least you know where you can get a brand new BMW. Even if it is slightly damp.

    Seriously, did your friends heart stop?

    Tom (... vee haf vays of making you like it!)

  9. #219
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 282519
    Seriously, did your friends heart stop?
    yep not happy... had to wait for a new build etc.

    So let's hope the laptop survives the much longer journey!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  10. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Caerphilly
    Posts
    4,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 282520
    yep not happy... had to wait for a new build etc.

    So let's hope the laptop survives the much longer journey!
    Got my toes and finger crossed for you


    ---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5mpmnz




Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •