Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Anonymous

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 288024
    You had to try the iMac Tom... I think it made sense "in theory" but in pratice it just turned out not to be the perfect solution. At least you know now!

I'm the opposite way, I keep trying to live with "just a laptop" and I keep on going back to my imac. No reason for it! a laptop attached to a 27" screen IS an imac! but yet, somehow I like the imac sitting there :/

Nowadays with all the files going to the cloud though, it's a little easier to have multiple machines because the files are accessible on all of them.
    You're right Keith.

The major issue I had with the iMac is that my home office is located down in our basement. That's where my iMac is. On the weekends, I've been bringing upstairs and setting it up in the kitchen where my DW works so that we can be together. At least in the same room. The problem comes during the week. My office hours typically run from about 6:30 AM to around 3:30 PM EST. When I get done with my "real" job, I need to be able to work on other "projects" (involving XCode, Wordpress, something else). Well, with the iMac, I need to stay downstairs in my office to work on those projects. I'm not going to schlep the thing up and down stairs daily. But if I stay downstairs, I have an moderately unhappy DW. This does not help create domestic bliss. A laptop solves that issue. At the end of the day, I can easily bring it upstairs and work while my DW reads. This has two benefits. One is I have more time to get something done that will hopefully (at some point) provide some degree of additional income. Secondarily (and probably more important), it please my DW.

In truth, I should have thought of all this before I bought the iMac. But I didn't.

So, heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off the computer dealer I go!

If I can't sell the iMac in the next few days, I'll probably just give it to my daughters family.

Tom (... normally I'd call myself an idiot but then I'd have to slap me! )

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems reasonable to me Tom, one day I'd love to have a really long chat about xcode and whatever you're messing with :D you're literally the only person I know messing with xcode :) (have you seen the storybooks for ios based development in xcode 4? kinda nice!)

Anyway, perhaps that's for a bar on a Disney cruise sometime.... ? :)

In terms of the laptop yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head with that really. That's EXACTLY what a 17" laptop excels at. A portable desktop. Since I tend to lock myself away in my office and just computer, the imac is fine but if I started to need to work in different places, the laptop would be more important.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 288026
    have you seen the storybooks for ios based development in xcode 4? kinda nice!
    Oh heck yeah! Storyboards are about the coolest thing I've seen since Interface Builder ceased to be a separate application. Even the limited amount I've used them (a main UI view and a preferences UI view) just make so much sense. Someday, when I come up with the "next big idea", I'd love to use them in a more capable way.

Between them and blocks, I'm a rather happy camper! The blocks are really nice since now you don't have to worry about callbacks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 288026
    Anyway, perhaps that's for a bar on a Disney cruise sometime.... ? :)
    And when exactly should we call Sir Slowhand and see about setting that up?

Tom (... working on working...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick apple iMac question erm... Is it possible to upgrade/add a hard drive even if I take it to an apple store? I'm very close to filling my 1tb hard drive ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 288057
    Quick apple iMac question erm... Is it possible to upgrade/add a hard drive even if I take it to an apple store? I'm very close to filling my 1tb hard drive ?
    Yep. Drives also come in 2 and 3 TB capacities. And yes, your iMac can be upgraded. But I doubt if the Apple store would do it for you. You'd have to check. You might have to find a computer repair guy locally with Apple experience. Or, do it yourself. There's how to videos on the Powerbook Medic site. I've used Powerbook Medic for years to do my upgrades. I trust what they say.

Or the other possibility would be to get an external disk drive or array. Yes, I know it would only be USB and therefore slower, but it might be an option if you can't find anyone to do your upgrade and you decide not to try it yourself.

BTW - tried to answer this from my iPad last night. Got it all typed in before I promptly lost the page. Stupid me.

Tom (... parts is parts...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did my imac the day I received it to replace the 1TB drive with an SSD, so yes it's possible BUT it's not meant to be easy ;-)

I had to buy some large "suckers" as I call them which attached to the screen to be able to lift it off and get to the internals.

After that there was a heck of a lot of fiddly ribbon cables to remove and reattach.

it wasnt fun!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 288125
    I did my imac the day I received it to replace the 1TB drive with an SSD, so yes it's possible BUT it's not meant to be easy ;-)
    At least that shows it's possible.

The videos on the Powerbook Medic site show the same thing. But the parts are big and bulky and the ribbon cables are small and fragile!

Tom (... Mr. Fixit... )

Post Thanks / Like
    my charger isn't charging my mac book pro, have changed plugs but no light on thing that plugs in to the mac book, any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 288147
    my charger isn't charging my mac book pro, have changed plugs but no light on thing that plugs in to the mac book, any ideas?
    Did the wire get pinched or broken sometime. If it's one of the newer Magsafe connectors with the LED light in the end of cable, I'd suspect that the wire's been broken somewhere along the line. Can you get to an Apple store with your MBP? Let them try it with one of their wall warts.

Tom (... currently setting up his new MBP...)

Post Thanks / Like
    can you take it to a franchisee? and if it is broken will i have to pay for it? i don't take the blooming thing out the house so it's hardly been used hard if you see what i mean

Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast