Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Cake

Post Thanks / Like
    What a cool idea!!!

I have made birthday cakes for the kids, but nothing so fancy and wonderful!! I can't wait to see how each step goes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all I'm really nervous now

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, silly question here. How on earth do you preserve the cake over such a long period of time? I know that it is traditional for the bride and groom to freeze the top layer until their first anniversary, but that is entirely different from keeping the cake fresh isn't it?

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a fruit cake John :)

Over here a traditional wedding cake is made from fruit which is made anything between 3 to 6 months before the wedding to allow it to mature whilst feeding it brandy once a month. This is then covered in marzipan and icing a couple of weeks before the wedding date.

A lot of people still keep the top tier, but I always suggest removing the icing and marzipan and then wrap the cake in waxed paper, then foil and put it away somewhere dark. The cake will be fine in 12 months time and will probably taste even better than it did on the day

Hannah and Chris want a sponge cake as well, for their guests that don't like fruit cake. I can only make that during the week before otherwise it will go dry and stale. We will be driving up to Bournemouth on the Friday, so I will probably make the sponge cake on the Tuesday so that I've got 2 days to decorate it.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Must admit im not a fan of fruit cake, whoever at disney made our cake did a good job though - it was chocolate cake with a cream type filling and it was delicious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 280202
    It's a fruit cake John :)

Over here a traditional wedding cake is made from fruit which is made anything between 3 to 6 months before the wedding to allow it to mature whilst feeding it brandy once a month. This is then covered in marzipan and icing a couple of weeks before the wedding date.

A lot of people still keep the top tier, but I always suggest removing the icing and marzipan and then wrap the cake in waxed paper, then foil and put it away somewhere dark. The cake will be fine in 12 months time and will probably taste even better than it did on the day

Hannah and Chris want a sponge cake as well, for their guests that don't like fruit cake. I can only make that during the week before otherwise it will go dry and stale. We will be driving up to Bournemouth on the Friday, so I will probably make the sponge cake on the Tuesday so that I've got 2 days to decorate it.
    Ah, that explains it. You're right those fruit cakes last forever. LOL

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Well nothing much has been happening to the cakes, I've been giving them plenty of brandy to drink :D and I have now started to marzipan them. I forgot how much work there is in the preparation

First of all I had to make sure that all the cakes were level - I don't want a lopsided cake I then "filled in" the little holes where the fruit has sunk in a little bit, if you've made a rich fruit cake before you'll know what I mean. This is so that I get a completely smooth surface once the marzipan has gone on, there is nothing worse than a lumpy cake.

Once all the marzipan is on I'll leave them until next week when they will be iced. I want to make sure the marzipan is nice and dry so that there won't be any air bubbles when the icing goes on.

Not that it will be anything exciting to look at but when all 3 are marzipaned I will take a photo

The rest of the week, I'll be making flowers, I've cut and made the wire stems already :D

I'm still in a pickle over when to assemble it It is a 3 tiered stacked cake, so they will be one on top of the other without pillars. My first reaction was to put it together here and take it up all prepared with just the top tier to decorate on the Saturday. Now, having had to lift them, I'm having enough trouble lifting the bottom 12" tier, I dread to think how heavy the whole thing will be and I don't think I will be able to lift it

My other option is to take up the tiers separately and assemble it when I get there. It will mean more pressure on me though, because I will only have the table where the cake is going to go at the reception and I will have to take all my tools with me as well as some icing made up and all the flowers. It will take an hour or so I would think to do this. What do you think is best

I can't believe that there is just under 3 weeks to go

The last week is going to be a real panic because they want a sponge cake as well and I can't make that until the Monday of the wedding week because of freshness. So it will be Monday cake, Tuesday marzipan, Wednesday ice and Thursday decorate

We drive up to Bournemouth on the Friday for the wedding on Saturday, I think I will need a holiday afterwards

Post Thanks / Like
    i love marzipan nom nom

do it there Wendy, it's going to be stressful enough travelling with the cakes and making sure they don't get damaged i think! can't wait to see the finished thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Even I wouldn't attempt to carry a three tiered wedding cake. I suggest you do it there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do it there so you don't feel as though you are transporting crystal jewels. It's nerve wracking, isn't it? Looking forward to seeing photos.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast