Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another tipping question

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so this restaurant says 12% survive charge added in lieu of salary. Gratuity for exceptional service optional

So now if I want to tip 20% is that In addition to the 12% or is it another 8% needed to add to the 12?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Add the 8 to the 12 for a total of 20.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 280226
    Add the 8 to the 12 for a total of 20.
    Thanks thats what we did but the server actually came back and said I didn't explain did I about the 12% service but gratuity extra. I said nope but hopefully you found the gratuity in cash with the check? He didn't say anything and wandered off

Made me wonder if I was doing it wrongly and short changing him

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he was trying it on as tourists might think you needed to leave another 20%. Weird way of doing it, I've never seen that

I hate it when the waiters think you don't know what you're doing and over explain trying to get as much as possible. Guarantees a lower tip from me! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a bit of a trick, as far as I'm concerned. You don't often see it in food and beverage, but it happens. You'll find it in spa services too. I'll add a bit, but point out that since the "service fee" (or whatever it is that particular establishment calls their hidden charge) is already calculated, I rounded it "up."

I really don't like hidden charges.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanna say I hate tipping....Not because I'm cheap, but due to how it's all conducted, and how everyone things they deserve a tip (maybe I should put a tip jar outside my therapy room?!)

Ok, off my soap box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 280236
    I just wanna say I hate tipping....Not because I'm cheap, but due to how it's all conducted, and how everyone things they deserve a tip (maybe I should put a tip jar outside my therapy room?!)

Ok, off my soap box.
    Worked for Lucy!!! :tongue:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Reader's Digest just ran an interesting article about tipping back a couple of months ago. A couple of things stood out to me.

1. Don't refuse to tip for bad service but rather talk to the manager.

2. Waiters don't keep all of their tips, they share with the bartender, bus boys etc.

3. Bartenders should always be tipped, anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 per drink or 15 -20% of the check.

And Keith I have to take a different stance on the 12% service charge and tip. If the waiters are not receiving a salary then that 12% is their salary. Tips should theoretically be over and above that, so 8% is really not a great tip. Since the IRS figures a wait person's income based on a percentage of sales the 8% may actually be costing them money. I know it sucks but unfortunately that is the way of life here in the US.

Just one man's point of view.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 280242
    1. Don't refuse to tip for bad service but rather talk to the manager.
    yeah Im 50/50 on this one. On the one hand, whilst it's happening, speaking to the manager is the way to go to try and get it fixed no doubt. On the other hand, having to do that can easily ruin an evening whereas a small, or no, tip should send a clear message to the under performing server. Up to the client IMHO

2. Waiters don't keep all of their tips, they share with the bartender, bus boys etc.
    yep true enough

3. Bartenders should always be tipped, anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00 per drink or 15 -20% of the check.
    makes me laugh this one but it's the way it is and that's that.

And Keith I have to take a different stance on the 12% service charge and tip. If the waiters are not receiving a salary then that 12% is their salary. Tips should theoretically be over and above that, so 8% is really not a great tip. Since the IRS figures a wait person's income based on a percentage of sales the 8% may actually be costing them money. I know it sucks but unfortunately that is the way of life here in the US.
    absolutely! that's the question really. Are they REALLY not receiving a salary :/ or are they saying they receive a base but then the 12% is a base "tip" to ensure they always come out with something and then anything exceptional is over and above that.

Really hard to tell IMHO and it's pretty awkward to have to ask! I guess I'll email them for some clarity for next time

Just one man's point of view.
    yep it's interesting to see though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast