Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day Traditions at Walt Disney World

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anything or anywhere you usually go on your first day?

For us we arrive in the evening so we tend to go shopping for groceries and then sometimes, go for a walk around DTD depending on how tired we are.

Our first full day is normally a wander around World Showcase, we get there for around 11am and make straight for France to the Boulangerie Patisserie. After that we go back to sit by the pool in the sun

What do you like to do?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    When we are staying, we like to explore the resort after check in. As we all know by now when it's OKW, we head to Gurgling Suitcase for that first traditional drink.

We then decide day by day what we want to do... sometimes it will depend upon what is being offered as activities at our resort of choice for that stay. It will depend too, upon who is with us (if anyone).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally we will hit DTD and grab a Margarita and do a little shopping.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally we go to DTD in the evening after landing. To absorb all of the Disney magic!

We visit one of the water parks to absorb the warmth and sunlight while on the lazy river! Bliss!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?d34bii

Post Thanks / Like
    As it is late in the afternoon when we normally arrive, by the time we get to our villa [via Publix], and do a bit of unpacking, following dinner at a nearby eatery, we normally just crash out to bed.
    The following day, we are normally wide awake at some unearthly hour and we tend to go to DTD for some people watching and grab a bite at the Earl of Sandwich for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also tend to go to DTD during the first day I arrive. Perfect time to really realize I'm at Disney and soak up the feel of the place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once we arrive (via publix) it's usually pretty late. Especially this time as we were on the later of the planes from Manchester so didn't end up arriving at the villa until about 9pm.

We USED to have a tradition of the hoop dee doo on the first evening but with the flights getting later and the hoop dee doo getting worse :/ we've not done that on the first night for a while.

If we get the chance, my favourite first night is to arrive late at EPCOT, grab a glass or three of champagne and watch illuminations. I don't know if I mentioned it before but illuminations is how I found Disney in the first place.

( Many years ago I was coming back from a hellish corporate meeting somewhere in Europe. The company driver met me at the airport and told me I looked like hell.. which was better than I felt after having drunk more than was sensible on the plane to try and forget the meeting and said I should take a holiday.
    Well in that place, it was so political, I'd NEVER taken a holiday because it was so political I'd have come back and not had an office. The driver went on and on about how he'd quit a terrible job some years ago because it was ruining his life and how he now concentrated on non-work things. His favourite being this place in Florida where they had the most amazing fireworks around this huge lake. It sounded wonderful.
    When I turned my phone back on, in the space of the 3 hour flight, I'd received over 99 voicemails (maximum the service allowed), 40 odd texts and 200 emails (all from people not automated stuff). I listened to the first few and thought the hell with it, life's REALLY too short and phoned the 24 hour bank travel line to book my flights to Orlando
    I had no idea it was even Disney, no accommodation or anything. Told the airport taxi "erm EMCOT? ENCOT? some place with a huge lake and great fireworks?" Thankfully the taxi knew where to take me, although I seem to recall a rather large bill After the fireworks, I asked a cast member if there were any hotels nearby and they laughed and gave me the disney resort line. They fixed me up at all star movies of all places!
    So before I knew there were Disney sites, or what Disneyworld was or anything else, there was EPCOT illuminations and some great life advice from a driver)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Emcot?!

We dont stay onsite so dont have a wdw first day tradition there

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 281116
    Emcot?!
    I know! I'd just never heard of Disneyworld and so all I had to go on was this conversation with this driver when I was quite frankly, fairly drunk

We dont stay onsite so dont have a wdw first day tradition there
    what do you do on your first Orlando day then?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha ha Keith, I love that story what a lovely way to be introduced to Disney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast