Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    In the absence of our own Skywatcher, I would like to step up to the plate and announce a big celestial event. It is quite rare! The planet Venus, after a great showing this spring is poised to TRANSIT across the sun tomorrow. The planet's dark disk will move across the bright photosphere of the sun around 5:30 EST or I guess around 10:30 GMT.

If you would like to see a live webcast of the event you could visit this site.

http://www.ccssc.org/transit2012.html

Cheers

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    What can we expect to see then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess it is sort of like an eclipse of sorts except very little of the sun's disk is blocked by the planet. Our moon being so close to us generally covers about the same amount of sky as the much larger but much further away sun. You can prove this by measuring the size of the moon or sun with your pinky at arms length (about 1/2 degree of arc). Venus is much further away from us than the moon, so you would see a black dot crossing in front of the sun. Not terribly exciting except for us nerds. It is a very rare event so catch it while you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thank you Dan

Hopefully it will be sunny here tomorrow

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm will the sun still be up at that time for you? I think the best views of the occurance will be in the Western US, Asia and Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    The sun should be up at 10.30am GMT unless it's as cloudy as it has been.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, that would be in the evening...sorry. I got this from a colleague from National Institute of Aerospace where I worked a few years ago:

(BTW...the astronaut Don Petit was a guest lecturer at a NASA workshop I attended at the University of Alaska in Anchorage in 2006 - all I can say is what a sharp man he is. He is currently on the ISS)

Join a NASA team to view the Venus Transit as seen from Fairbanks, AK</SPAN></SPAN>.</SPAN>

Today, Tuesday June 5, is the last chance most of us will ever have to see the planet Venus pass in front of the Sun. A transit of Venus is among the rarest of astronomical events, even more rare than the return of Halley's Comet every 76 years. The next Venus transit will be in the year 2117.</SPAN>

The best viewing places for this event are Hawaii and Alaska. NASA has a team of educators at both sites to share this event with teachers and students.</SPAN>

You and your students can join the Fairbanks team from NIA to view this event via LiveStream from 6:00 PM ET until 12:00 AM ET TODAY: </SPAN>http://www.livestream.com/venustransit</SPAN>

The Fairbanks team will broadcast on two stations simultaneously. Only the Livestream site will be interactive and open for questions from the audience. </SPAN>

Please join us to learn what is unique about the Fairbanks location, including interviews at the University of Alaska Museum of the North to find out what a fascinating place Alaska is!</SPAN>

You can also visit the Sun-Earth Day Venus Transit website: http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/transitofvenus/ where you will be able to see all 11 possible sites to view the transit, including an on-orbit viewing w</SPAN>

Post Thanks / Like
    I read about it today on the news and it should be visable here about 5am tomorrow morning. I don't think there's any chance that we will see anything though, it is absolutely pouring down with rain :( and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it is overcast here too. Stinks. I have a sunspotter scope and would be cool to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just don't look directly at the sun via ANY method.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast