Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpSail Fest Going on

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,
    Just wanted to share this with you if you like nautical stuff. We are having a huge parade of sail and naval ships going on in Norfolk this week. My museum is right on the water in Portsmouth and have pretty good access to seeing the festival. Think of it as the Diamond Jubilee except on the James River, not the Thames and fewer tiaras and a lot more cannon. It is being held in conjucntion with the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 (Settled in nearby Yorktown).

Here is a live link to the parade
    http://www.wavy.com/generic/news/loc...012-livestream

It is working now (6/6/2012) and I am heading over to take a few pictures. There are mostly Naval vessels but the tall ships are on their way. I hope to get a picture log going here over the next few days. We have a lot of food and drink opps during the celebration as well as a lot of musical acts.

Schedule:

http://www.opsail2012virginia.com/events-schedule

Think the Blue Angels will be flying this weekend too. They are a great act of precision.

Keep you in the loop.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool.

Reminds me of my old days at Langley Airplane patch.

See where you're going to have the HMS Bounty there in Portsmouth. I had some good times on that ship.

Also see where the Schooner Sultana is going to be in Cape Charles. I'd love to be able to go see that.

Tom (... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Tom for sure! Some great vessels heading our way. Most of the larger military ones are heading in now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 281590
    Cool.

Reminds me of my old days at Langley Airplane patch.

See where you're going to have the HMS Bounty there in Portsmouth. I had some good times on that ship.

Also see where the Schooner Sultana is going to be in Cape Charles. I'd love to be able to go see that.

Tom (... )
    Tom, were you stationed at Langely??

Thought I would add a few more since I walked over on my lunch.

For my dear Brit friends...to show we in Portsmouth have some civilized ways...actually I believe the phone booth came from Portsmouth England.

Also a picture of one of our colonial homes here in Olde Town...note the gas lamps.

And a picture of part of the air parade...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 281597
    Tom, were you stationed at Langely??
    Yep. Back in 1969. Headquarters TAC at the time. Have some fond memories of Mercury Boulevard from back then. Have no idea what it's like now.

Tom (... 4501st Combat Support Group)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure a lot has changed since then. Is TAC still an acronym? Does it still exist? I know they are the home of the first fighters squadron.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 281600
    Is TAC still an acronym? Does it still exist?
    Nope. Got absorbed into the Air Combat Command back in 1992.

Really though, the coolest thing about Langley in those days was going over to the NASA side and looking out over the surface of the moon.

They had the big gantry over there where they practiced with the LEM for the lunar missions.

Tom (... long time ago...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Gantry is still there. They used it to crash land the new orion capsul. I worked for NASA a couple of years ago as an educator in residence while the museum was being refurbished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks wonderful, Dan! I love the water, boats, ships... anything to do with it at all. I would love to be there to enjoy the festivities.

I've seen the Blue Angels. They'll take your breath away and stop your heart!

Have a great time!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink,

They are really something. This is a rare event as it will be held over the oceanfront (over beach). Nearly all of the shows are done near a field. There are several festivals held in conjuction with all the OpSail stuff. Each city down here wants to get in on the action.

Parade of Sail is tomorrow. All the tall ships are at anchor near Va Beach right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast