Thread: South pacific

Post Thanks / Like
    Just seen it in Nottingham theatre royal, what a beautiful theatre albeit a bit cramped. Fantastic production, Caitlin's first introduction to Rogers and Hammerstein.

Anyone else a fan and if so what's your favourite?

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG I love South Pacific. I'd die to see it on stage.

When I was just a wee lad of about 7, my family wanted to go to the movies one night. There was a new double theater in town. They were showing "South Pacific" (the movie) and Jerry Lewis in "Don't Give Up the Ship". We parked right across the street from the movie theater and I announced to all and sundry that I wanted to see the Jerry Lewis movie. When my parents disagreed with me, I decided the best course of action would be to throw a tantrum. My dad proceeded to snatch me up in the middle of the road and inform me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't straighten up this very moment, the only thing I'd be seeing is his hand as it descended to my fanny. My options were simple; see South Pacific or endure pain. I gave it some careful thought for about 3.2 milliseconds and decided that discretion might be the better part of valor. So, I acquiesced to their obviously unreasonable demands and we went to see South Pacific.

Silly me. I fell in love with the movie and have been a fan ever since.

Just goes to show you that occasionally, mom and dad do know best.

Related but different, one of my other favorites is by Richard Rogers without Oscar Hammerstein. I absolutely love listening to the "Victory at Sea" symphony. One of the most dramatic, moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

Tom (... some enchanted evening...)

Post Thanks / Like
    aww it was incredible Tom, and i cried..at the interval and at the end. Put good music to anything and i turn into jelly- don't tell anyone as they think i'm tough LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Love South Pacific, watched it all the time as a child because my dad was in love with France Nuyen who played Liat in the film! Saw it on stage years ago, would love to take Caitlin to see it now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it's coming near you now Lisa. The head seabee was the guy who played little mo's evil husband in eastenders, he was funny. Playing a southern drawl with just a hint of Scottish twang in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to go and see South Pacific when it comes here, but I couldn't get anyone to go with me Chris refused :( I loved the film when I was growing up :)

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I live nearer I'd have gone with you lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the musical that features that posh school...Bali High?