Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York, May-June 2012 - Amanda's 40th! PART 5 - The 9/11 Memorial

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent report Mike! I'm really enjoying these.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 283102
    I felt exactly the same in Dallas when I visited the area where JFK was assassinated and I was truly amazed at how much of a tourist attraction it has become.
    Interesting note about Dallas.

A number of years ago I was in Dallas on business. Hadn't been there before. The office I was visiting was on Elm street downtown. I was about to leave and head to the airport. One of the guys that I was out there to see told me to take a limo. They were actually cheaper than a taxi. So, we called a limo and as soon as it showed up, I hopped in the back and off we went. Now keep in mind, I didn't really have any idea where in Dallas I was. As we're motoring along, all of a sudden I start feeling quite ill, was having a hard time breathing, and the hairs at the back of my neck were standing on end. Just a really creepy feeling. I put away the documentation I had been reading and looked out the limo windows to see if I could figure out why I felt so out of sorts all of a sudden. When I looked, it suddenly dawned on me that we were, at that very moment, traversing Dealy Plaza following the exact same route on Elm Street that the presidents motorcade had taken. The Texas School Book depository was to my right rear and the infamous "grassy knoll" to the right front. A very strange and moving experience.

Sorry for the interruption but since Dallas was mentioned, I had to share.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread.

Tom (... shaken...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 283105

Interesting note about Dallas....... A very strange and moving experience.
    That was indeed a strange occurrence Tom.
    It was in the mid 80`s when I was there [also on a business trip], and I was amazed at how little the area had changed since I saw the grainy images on our tv in 1963.....grassy knoll, book depository etc.etc.

NW UK, handy for the Lakes, Dales, Peak District a
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 283102
    Another great report Mike.
    I`m glad that you featured the WTC Memorial as this is something that I really want to see, and pay my respects, when we are in NY.
    I know what you mean about the photograph element. I felt exactly the same in Dallas when I visited the area where JFK was assassinated and I was truly amazed at how much of a tourist attraction it has become. It didn`t spur me on to have my photo taken there that`s for sure.
    ... no, the Sicko On The Grassy Knoll tag doesn't appeal to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike, post: 283100
    Apologies for the delay in posdting the final part - am back at work now, sob! It's half done and I should be able to wrap up later tonight, if I give up eating and sleeping!
    .. ah.. I forgot - the footy's on tonight!!! Might be Wednesday! Sorry! :tongue:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike, post: 283117

.. ah.. I forgot - the footy's on tonight!!! Might be Wednesday! Sorry! :tongue:
    You are leaving us hanging because football is on it's only some boys on a field kicking a ball round :wink:

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have loved your trip reports and pictures its been very helpful for me............ Dave has been to NY a couple of times more than i realised but things have changed like times square so its been brilliant thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12