Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal and wheelchair warning

Post Thanks / Like
    Just returned from taking Beth to Orlando as an early 21st birthday treat. We purchased all tickets before leaving. We went to IOA guest service to obtain GAP for Beth. The CM told me Beth would not be able to go on any ride but the carousel and no rides in Universal. They would not even let her go on cat in the hat. I explained her wheelchair gave her full body support and was crash tested for vehicles but they were having none of it. They refunded me after I stood my ground ( the poor cm was very apologetic ). I have written a complaint and just recieved a phone call to say its Universals rules not to allow anyone to ride who can not support themselves and hold the bar ( Beth can hold the bar but not sit unaided ). I asked that they made this very aware on their homepage but was told no its up to the individual to search the PDF. I explained Beth had been on this ride several times over the years and I would not think to look at this. I also asked what's the difference between this and Winnie the pooh which Beth had ridden the day before, she said they are not aware of Disney rides ( yeah right )

Here it is

http://www.universalorlando.co.uk/uo...cm37-10940.pdf

I am sorry but I find this totally discriminating

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry you had this happen Michelle what a horrible thing to happen, poor Beth. Thank you for your warning to other people visiting.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 282755
    I'm sorry you had this happen Michelle what a horrible thing to happen, poor Beth. Thank you for your warning to other people visiting.
    Your welcome Wendy. I would hate for anyone to be as disappointed as Beth was. Was hard to explain to her why she could not ride. Just had email from them saying thank you for taking their call and they hope we visit soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mainecoon lover, post: 282766
    Your welcome Wendy. I would hate for anyone to be as disappointed as Beth was. Was hard to explain to her why she could not ride. Just had email from them saying thank you for taking their call and they hope we visit soon
    It really is a shame, poor Beth, I don't think you'll be visiting them anytime soon, silly people

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michelle,

That is very discriminatory. The Americans with Disabilities Act is supposed to prevent this. I'm not totally up on it but if you go to www.ada.gov it will give you all the guidance.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot truly explain how much this disgusts me. I am so sorry our Beth had to suffer this sort of treatment here in the "land of the free." I'm all for safety, even over the top, over board, err on the side of caution safety; but she'd already been on these rides!

Hope you visit soon. Huh. What total idiots they are.

Thank you so very much for bringing us this news.

We need this info on the boards, in a very formal way. If Universal is going to bar anyone from rides that cannot meet their requirements fine, but we'll need to alert everyone who comes here to that fact.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    What a terrible thing..poor Beth

You can allow people in wheelchairs to pay for a ticket and enter your park, but they will not be allowed to ride anything?!?!?!? That just doesn't add up! Just put a sign up saying "keep out" and be done with it. It makes me sick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Or let anyone who cannot meet their rigid and unnecessary criteria in for free.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That is disgusting. I really have no words.

Poor Beth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grrrr that is awful and stupid.

Lots of to you and Beth

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5qroal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast