Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pocket camera question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 285082
    SO if you could, would you let me know about that as well?
    Will do Dan!

Tom (... all charged up!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom any chance you got an opportunity to test the Nikon? Would love to see what you thought. Picture quality? Battery life with the GPS enabled? Ease of operation/controls?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 285808
    Tom any chance you got an opportunity to test the Nikon? Would love to see what you thought. Picture quality? Battery life with the GPS enabled? Ease of operation/controls?
    I've gotten just a bit of time to play with it Dan. Although haven't had time to test the GPS functionality. So far however, I'm impressed with its ease of use. I finally found a camera that has a menu structure that makes it relatively easy to switch between the various "scene" modes. Haven't gotten out to take much in the way of pictures yet. I did get to try the "panorama" mode on it the other day however just at dawn. Worked pretty cool. Here's the pic:

[ATTACH]12012.vB[/ATTACH]

In this mode, you hold down the shutter button and start turning. It's got a little indicator to tell you how many degrees you've turned. You can do either 180 or 360 in this particular mode. This one was 180 degrees just standing at the end of my driveway. There's a different panorama mode on it also that I think gives you more choices. But I didn't get a chance to play with that one.

Also got a chance to quickly play with the video recording. Works pretty well. Here's an unlisted Youtube video I shot.

Early morning as the sun was coming up. Sorry about the garbage cans. What can I say? It was trash day. The videos actually quite a bit darker on Youtube that it was as it came out of the camera. On my computer, it's pretty good.

I've only got two complaints about the camera so far.
    • First, it feels kind of plasticy if you know what I mean. In an outdoor, all weather, underwater camera, that may not be a bad thing. But my old Canon D10 was metal and felt like you had a hunk of something in your hand. This doesn't feel that way.
    • The other complaint so far is that the video zoom is kind of noisy. You can hear the motor and the pop on the video. No real big deal. Just a minor annoyance.

Eventually, I'll get enough time to try to really test it out. Just kind of hard to fit in when you're taking out the garbage.

Tom (... all told, I think I'm going to like it!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks Tom. It is on my short list of cameras. Also thinking about the Lumix waterproof one, as well as the old Canon model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 285829
    as well as the old Canon model.
    I liked my old Canon D10 but I gotta warn you.

I only had it in the water one time. At Castaway Cay. Didn't go deep or anything. Just some video around the beach. Washed it off in clean water back on the ship. Dried it off and put it back in it's case. Came home and put it away. The next time I went to get it out, I had the dreaded "lens error, restart camera" message. Turns out that somehow the lens motor gets corroded and no longer works. It means a complete replacement. That's why I bought the Nikon. I didn't want to spend as much to get the D10 fixed as it would have cost to go ahead and get the Nikon. See all the complaints about the same thing at Amazon.

Tom (... after you've got the camera is not the time to find these things out!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 285078
    Donna, the flash on my Fuji is like that. It is sort of spring loaded so even if you were to get your hands in the way, nothing would happen to damage the camera. Not sure if it that durable, I mean springs will eventually konk out, but it has been going strong for around 7 years (oh my gosh....it HAS been that long...me thinks me needs a new camera!)
    Well, that's good news. I could see me breaking it first time out!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    So, have you made a decision yet :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 285840
    So, have you made a decision yet :D
    Yeah, I think I have. I'm going to buy one this weekend. I'll tell you all about it once I have it!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Donna, can't wait to hear about your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it!!!!!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast