Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket camera question

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, to all you excellent photographers, that this may come as a travesty... But after years of lugging around a heavy camera bag, my shoulder decided to protest and now insists that I get one of those convenient light-weight little cameras that you can slide into a pocket or will fit easily into the small Disney over-the-shoulder bag where I keep my inhaler, phone, and room key. So I thought that maybe I should ask one of you camera experts what you would recommend. Obviously I don't want to give up photo quality (I realize it won't be the same...). But I would like a camera that offers different "scene" functions, has decent optical zoom, etc. So, what would any of you suggest? By the way, I also do not want to have to mortgage my home or sell my youngest child to buy this thing... Under $400 would be great, if possible.

Thanks a bunch!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a wonderful picture taker by any stretch of the imagination, but we have a little Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 and I love it! It is the little camera we use for the everyday stuff and taking to the park etc. and it has never failed us yet It is easily small enough to be tucked in a pocket or purse and is within your $400 budget. Ours has a 12x zoom, but I know my Dad has a very similar one with a 25x Zoom. Just depends on what you are looking for :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your input! When I go out looking, I'll be sure to check it out! I really have no idea what to buy. But I have a couple of months before I have to really worry about it. So I figured that would give me some time to ask around.
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    We absolutely love our Sony Cybershot. I can't remember the exact model off hand but we got it on sale for $180 and it's the perfect little camera.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the canon s95 and it's FABULOUS! It takes create pictures and has plenty of scenes (I play with those too).

Post Thanks / Like
    Donna,

I'm a fan of weatherproof for this type of thing. You never know when you're going to get caught out in the rain. I'm also a fan of both Nikon and Canon cameras. Given that here's two that I think fill the bill nicely:

1. Canon Powershot D10 - I've got this one. And while it's a few years old, it still serves me well. It's waterproof up to about 10ft so if I'm snorkeling on Castaway Cay, I can take photos. It also does video. I've been quite pleased with it. Oop - just saw where Canon has replaced the D10. Now it's the D20. Here's it's specs.
    2. Nikon Coolpix AW100 - Pretty much same as above but from Nikon. Although it is a newer camera than the Canon. It does have some neat features that the Canon doesn't have. More pixels, GPS capability, better zoom.

If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably get the Nikon. But the Canon has been perfectly serviceable.

Tom (... small and light is good...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 282961
    We absolutely love our Sony Cybershot. I can't remember the exact model off hand but we got it on sale for $180 and it's the perfect little camera.
    I'm currently shooting a Sony and from what I've read, their little pocket cameras use the same batteries, SD cards, and charger as the Sony I'm using. So that might be convenient...
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 282976
    Donna,

I'm a fan of weatherproof for this type of thing. You never know when you're going to get caught out in the rain. I'm also a fan of both Nikon and Canon cameras. Given that here's two that I think fill the bill nicely:

1. Canon Powershot D10 - I've got this one. And while it's a few years old, it still serves me well. It's waterproof up to about 10ft so if I'm snorkeling on Castaway Cay, I can take photos. It also does video. I've been quite pleased with it. Oop - just saw where Canon has replaced the D10. Now it's the D20. Here's it's specs.
    2. Nikon Coolpix AW100 - Pretty much same as above but from Nikon. Although it is a newer camera than the Canon. It does have some neat features that the Canon doesn't have. More pixels, GPS capability, better zoom.

If I had it to do over again today, I'd probably get the Nikon. But the Canon has been perfectly serviceable.

Tom (... small and light is good...)
    Both of those have possibilities... And they are within the price range. I shot Nikons for years before switching to my current Sony and I've always loved them. No experience with Canon, however...
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 282974
    I have the canon s95 and it's FABULOUS! It takes create pictures and has plenty of scenes (I play with those too).
    Wow... You guys aren't making this easy for me, are you???? LOL
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever decide what to get Donna?

Tom (... now in the market for a new one since his Canon D10 died this morning... :mad:)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast