Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening a US bank account

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to open an american bank account from over here in the UK?

The reason why I'm asking is my dad receives a cheque 4 times a year from Esso who he used to work for but they send it from the USA and its in dollars. To pay it into his account with Lloyds Bank will cost him 40.

Is it possible to open an US bank account from here? Or alternatively does anyone know any bank or building society here that wouldn't charge so much for him to deposit it into his account? What he really wants to do is pay it into the bank and get the dollars straight back out again ready for our trip to Disney next year, but of course that's not possible without the 40 charge.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    You can I think but not sure if they charge a monthly fee a few years ago we cashed a US cheque with Barclays and it was only 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Most US banks charge a fee unless you keep a certain minimum $ amount in the account. Credit unions don't but you typically have to work somewhere that offers that membership (I work for the state so I get a membership at our credit union).

I'm sorry I'm not more of a help :-( that's a crazy amount of money though

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are actually a number of credit union type banking institutions that no longer require membership in a group to join. They require a simple deposit usually (at least any I've ever joined) of about $5 or so. You need to keep that amount in there, and then go from there. Insight is one. McCoy is another, and Fairwinds is another...

I don't know how it would work to open an account from the UK though.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 283067
    There are actually a number of credit union type banking institutions that no longer require membership in a group to join. They require a simple deposit usually (at least any I've ever joined) of about $5 or so. You need to keep that amount in there, and then go from there. Insight is one. McCoy is another, and Fairwinds is another...

I don't know how it would work to open an account from the UK though.
    That's good to know

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will need to be there in person to open an account. I say this, as I have not been able to open account being in another state. Every bank says we need to see you, before they will open an account.

While it's frustrating, i understand with identity theft, how opening the account in person is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to try ingdirect.com. I don't know if they will handle overseas accounts or not though. You may need to contact them at the email address they provide to ask.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 283094
    I think you will need to be there in person to open an account. I say this, as I have not been able to open account being in another state. Every bank says we need to see you, before they will open an account.
    Actually we opened a US bank account from here in the UK when we took out our mortgage on our villa in Orlando without having to actually visit the bank. From memory, all we had to do was to submit a photostat copy of our passports along with some other items....utility bills I think.

Having a US bank account is great for us Brits who make regular trips to the States as we don`t have to think about the currency exchange rate.
    It just takes a bit of careful planning to top up the account from here when the 1 is on a high.

So long as I keep a minimum amount in the account, I don`t get any charges, and I mainly only use the account nowadays for withdrawing a few $$$`s in cash, and writing out an occasional cheque...apart from paying the utilities on our villa of course which is all done on line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 283103
    Actually we opened a US bank account from here in the UK when we took out our mortgage on our villa in Orlando without having to actually visit the bank. From memory, all we had to do was to submit a photostat copy of our passports along with some other items....utility bills I think.

Having a US bank account is great for us Brits who make regular trips to the States as we don`t have to think about the currency exchange rate.
    It just takes a bit of careful planning to top up the account from here when the 1 is on a high.

So long as I keep a minimum amount in the account, I don`t get any charges, and I mainly only use the account nowadays for withdrawing a few $$$`s in cash, and writing out an occasional cheque...apart from paying the utilities on our villa of course which is all done on line.
    Which bank is it you use?

I'll try the other suggestions too, thanks everyone the advice is much appreciated.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam, post: 283106
    Which bank is it you use?
    I`m with Regions bank Sam.

They have a convenient branch near to our villa close by Champions Gate, and I`ve always had great courtesy and service from them on the few occasions that I have had to call in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast