Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Both my mom and my dad taught me. I don't remember how long it actually took me once I got my learner's permit. Mom had me mostly out on the roads, while dad would take me to the National Battlefield Park and teach me how to back up and how to park.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Eeesh! I'm not so sure I'd jump out in front of any vehicle!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thirteen days after my learner's permit was issued, I passed my test and had my first driver's license!

I wouldn't recommend my method to anyone, but it was necessary at the time. Just after school started, my father changed jobs (you know those union issues many are facing--this was fallout from that) and I no longer had transportation to school. So, after three weeks of arriving at a friend's house at 5:00 a.m., and doing homework or reading until they were read to leave for the day and not getting home until midnight or so, we looked at our options and the only one that made sense was for me to learn to drive. Quickly! So I did!

Seriously, I was lucky with my instructor. He was the father of one of the girls who had been in my ballet class when we were younger. She was a couple of years older and left when she was around 13, so we lost touch with one another. Our families always got along well, so it was a serious stroke of luck that he was my assigned instructor! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    I could only afford one lesson a week and took them for about three months. I did pass first time though....got my license at 17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I remember that sort of thing too John. Da took me to a large empty parking lot and taught me to throw the car into a spin so I could learn to handle snow and ice. "Doin' doughnuts" remember?

Little did he know I thought that was great fun, and went on to do it once I was licensed, just for the fun of it! :spring:

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    My DW had to take her test 7 times.:shocked025:
    But don`t let on I told you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man. Oh maaaaannnn! You are in SO much trouble! RUN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 31007
    My DW had to take her test 7 times.:shocked025:
    But don`t let on I told you!
    I won't mention my DW's tests because in jest or not I would be toast
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew you were super intelligent Keith!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my learner's permit when I was 15 and 8 months (which was EXACTLY when you could get it back then) and had my learner's until I was 17. I wasn't able to take behind the wheel until then (a requirement to get your driver's license as well).

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast