Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning to drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious.. How long did everyone take to learn to drive ? :D

Post Thanks / Like
    You really never stop learning Steven! :p015:
    Joking aside, I learned fairly quickly [around 6 months before I passed my test if I recall]. This was mainly due to the fact that I had already passed my test on a motor scooter earlier....I was one of the Mods in the 60`s and my scooter was adorned with loads of chrome and mirrors etc....think Quadrophinia [sp?] and that`s about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Errrmmmm six months? That was the term of the learner's permit. Had to have the first one for six months before you could get your real license.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a whole year!:ashamed008:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 30916
    Errrmmmm six months? That was the term of the learner's permit. Had to have the first one for six months before you could get your real license.
    It was a heck of a long time ago Tink. In those days a guy walked in front of you waving a red flag when you were driving!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven, post: 30911
    Curious.. How long did everyone take to learn to drive ? :D
    Just a few weeks! I HATED having driving lessons, all the "do it this way" stuff made me grrrrrrrrrr so I had double lessons and anything I could do to get it over with. I'd been practising for months beforehand though in Mum's car so it wasn't exactly JUST a few weeks I suppose

I took the test and was sooooo nervous my foot was shaking. The lady examiner was very strict and not in the least friendly and we had a few erm, interesting instances along the way I felt I was doing great then we went into a really old industrial estate thing with overgrown mossy roads and lots of unmarked crossroads. One of them I just didnt see because of the hedges and she stopped the car using the second set of brakes and started scribbling. I thought ok great thats that then :rolleyes008:

Later we went onto this busy road and she said back into that road there. Well there was a sweeping corner and a load of warehouses behind it, and limited visibility round the corner. As I started to back up verrrrry slowly, then a huge truck appeared round the corner and whizzed past beeping. Then another, then another, then another I just about managed to do it after that.

Then after being totally messed up by all that we went along the road and she said "ok when I hit the dashboard with my clipboard I want you to break as you would in an emergency, the next thing you hear will be that instruction...... STOP" and there was literally just a couple of seconds gap. so that rattled me

We get back and she said "Im pleased to inform you that you've passed" well I couldnt really believe it. Worst drive of my life either before OR since. After a few seconds I thought well Im not sure what to say now, we both know it was an awful drive so I think perhaps I'll try and explain that I know it wasnt great so I said "erm do you have any advice for me, things I could/should improve?" and she turned to me and with this really withering glare said coldly "if I thought THAT then I would not have passed you" got out and walked off

Not the best day of my life I must admit
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I hated learning as well, or rather I coudn't stand my instructor :rolleyes008:He used to make me stop at petrol stations so he could get sweets! He was a rather large man and therefore I learnt to drive in a massive Nissan Bluebird!

I had my first lesson on my 17th birthday in the Nov and passed in the June at the second attempt. I was so nervous at my first test that my feet kept slipping off the pedals.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    took me 6 weeks at one per week and a double on the day so 7 lessons
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Slowhand! I was referring to my having learned. When I was learning one had to get a learner's permit and have it for six months before taking the test for the actual license.

My Da taught me to drive. I was pretty intimidated by him, and did everything exactly as he said. He told me when he shouted stop! I was to stop immediately. I asked if he meant for me to slam on the brakes, and he said I should respond as if a child had run out in front of me. Soooo, when he shouted STOP! I slammed those brakes to the FLOOR. He flew out of his seat (pre seatbelt days) and "fetched himself right up against the windshield!" I was horrified, but he laughed uproariously and said I had great reflexes. Whew. Scary day.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    There is the famous story over here about the examiner jumping out in front of a motor cyclist who was taking his test in order to check out an emergency stop. The problem was that he jumped out in front of the wrong motor cycle which knocked him over! [I`m told this is a true story]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast