Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red wine? Need some help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone I know is retiring soon, they are not a close friend but someone who has done something nice for me and my family...Sooooooooo I hear they like red wine and would like to purchase them a nice bottle of the stuff.

I know nothing about red wine and would like some help, if you could throw a few names in my direction of what kind to get I would be grateful. I want to spend about 10. Thank you X

Post Thanks / Like
    What is that in American dollars? About $15?

A tempranillo is an excellent choice, and is a very nice variety for a reasonable cost.

I don't like merlot at all, but some people do...

Zinfandel can be a good choice, but you'd need to select a good vineyard. Some are quite nasty!

Cabernet Sauvignon is another that is almost always a guarantee of "goodness."

If you want to spend a little more, Chateauneuf du pape is a wonderful red (my favorite) and would be a beautiful gift.

If they like something a touch sweeter you can go with a grenache blend.

Spain has some really nice riojas, and Italy has it's famous chianti...

You might want to simply go to a decent wine shop and ask the owner for recommendations too.

If there are ratings from Wine Spectator, use those. They are quite reliable, but read the labels carefully! Often a wine shop that isn't that ethical will put up a Wine Spectator rating and then not have the exact wine on display (different year, it won't be reserve when that's what is being rated, that sort of thing).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    You might want to simply go to a decent wine shop and ask the owner for recommendations too.

If there are ratings from Wine Spectator, use those. They are quite reliable, but read the labels carefully! Often a wine shop that isn't that ethical will put up a Wine Spectator rating and then not have the exact wine on display (different year, it won't be reserve when that's what is being rated, that sort of thing).
    I agree with everything Tink says, especially the two parts I quoted above. IMHO nothing beats a good wine guy/gal. I've got one and he has never steered me wrong.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 283773

and Italy has it's famous chianti...
    That goes down especially well with liver and fava beans according to Hannibal Lector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so far... except to Slowhand... who gets a smack upside the head X

Post Thanks / Like
    Rioja Reserva, Bodegas Carlos Serres 2005

my fave at the moment, Next wine does it as well as independent vendors and it's 10.99 a bottle. Great with cheese

Post Thanks / Like
    Chateuneuf du pape does me as does a nice Rioja

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a treat Chris try the 2008, it's a bit like you.... Smooooth ;) LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 283788
    That goes down especially well with liver and fava beans according to Hannibal Lector.
    Too funny mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some nice meritage this week..think that was what it was. Stopped at a winery in VA at last week's conference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast