Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eep , just submitted a load of photos for a book !!

Post Thanks / Like
    well done Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    You should stop being so hard on yourself, you have done brilliantly Will you sign my book for me :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 284505
    Absolutely

I mean us looking at sir skywatcher's photos and saying we like them is one thing, but the crowd he's being assessed by now are seriously strict.

The "bird in flight" crowd for example will happily look at your prize photo of a never before seen bird and tell you that its useless because there's a distracting twig in the distance, or the beak is slightly less sharp than the leading edge of the left wing.

If you take a shot with the wings frozen in time, there's no movement. If you retake it with blur on the wings, that's too much blur or too little.

They'll blow up the photo to beyond 100% to look at the pixels in the background and that's before they start looking at the bird itself only to comment that "it's not the best example of a lesser pimpled keith-hawk" as if we can pick and choose.

I know you are your own worst critic sir skywatcher because you know I feel the same about my shots but honestly, I'm not at all surprised that they love your shots.
    Cheers bud, and you are exactly right, this was the first time I put my head above the parapet for serious professional crit and it is a scary thing.

The ones he didn't like we're ones I didn't really like as well but depicted rare birds or rare behavior.

Genuinely hoped he could use one or two but to be told he would use 'many' was a real shock , especially after his previous email telling that other guy he may get away with one from his set.

I still appreciate this is a voluntary book for charity and the criteria therefore would be nowhere near as strict as if it was a proper professional publication but it's a step up and much as I really appreciate the feedback on here, to get it from someone who is well known in publishing circles is a real surprise and an encouragement.

The other things he pointed out about backgrounds and broken colours etc are IMO very very hard to do anything about in the field dealing with a wild animal that may not show for hours on end and when it does may well face the other way behind a branch. Different in many ways from studio work where you can control so much, but then that's why I love it.

Thanks for all your kind words xx

Post Thanks / Like
    It does make a difference, having good feedback from someone in 'the business' and being so particular about your own work is part of what makes your photos so beautiful.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda want to see a lesser pimpled Keith hawk now though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 284590
    Kinda want to see a lesser pimpled Keith hawk now though

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123