Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter has decided she is moving to the UK so that she can be closer to her "boyfriend" (Daley). The yell that went up as he won the bronze

And seriously...can those briefs be any...briefer?? Depending on where the camera lands those boys look quite indecent!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm a little over that bit. Seriously, a full trunk won't interfere with their diving prowess. Better than showing their shortcomings to the world at every opportunity, eh? ;)

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the opening ceremony would be etc

Every step along the way it has impressed and surpassed our wildest expectations

Everything from the architecture to the humble athletes to the phenomenal crowds to the sit second organisational timing.

It has been so much more than a sporting event, nothing in my lifetime has done as much to help cement a feeling of national identity and pride.

I have never heard a crowd at any sporting event sing the national anthem as the flags go up , certainly never to the level where it drowns out the music!

So many have found themselves caught up in the magic of the sport. My brother was in a pub when Mo won the 10,000 m he said the noise was deafening .... For athletics!

I understand not everyone got it or was interested , but for me the last 2 weeks have been my 'moon landings' every day brought more tears of joy and pride, and tonight sadness at its ending.

I have never ever felt prouder to be British, the effect it's had on my children has been profound.

I'll stop rambling

Normal service will be resumed shortly

Until then.... London thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just hope some of the positivity rubs off and helps us get out of this recession. That is the way you achieve things not by sitting back and moaning

Happy to see that the Government has committed to funding sport at the same level until 2016.

Did anyone hear Dr Steve Peters on Chris Evan's show the other day talking about the way he helped the British Cycling Team to achieve success? very inspiring, just bought his book and i've signed up to do the 100 mile bike ride that Boris announced a few days ago- ride London.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 287877
    As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the ending ceremony would be etc

Every step along the way it has impressed and surpassed our wildest expectations
    yeah even as I was saying it, I was doubting various things. Everything I was watching on the news, hearing and being told was how disastrous it was going to be.

From what I can see the whole thing was a huge triumph and good on everyone who was involved and supported it It's certainly been nice to see some national pride, to be honest, I dont remember if I've ever seen anything like it in my lifetime.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 287878
    I just hope some of the positivity rubs off and helps us get out of this recession. That is the way you achieve things not by sitting back and moaning
    yeah a very valid hope
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 287877
    As Keith said right at the top of this thread, our country is so self deprecating usually , there was so much talk regarding whether we could afford it, how behind the building would be, how poor the security would be, how bad the ending ceremony would be etc

Everything from the architecture to the humble athletes to the phenomenal crowds to the sit second organisational timing.

It has been so much more than a sporting event, nothing in my lifetime has done as much to help cement a feeling of national identity and pride.

I have never heard a crowd at any sporting event sing the national anthem as the flags go up , certainly never to the level where it drowns out the music!

So many have found themselves caught up in the magic of the sport. My brother was in a pub when Mo won the 10,000 m he said the noise was deafening .... For athletics!

I understand not everyone got it or was interested , but for me the last 2 weeks have been my 'moon landings' every day brought more tears of joy and pride, and tonight sadness at its ending.

I have never ever felt prouder to be British, the effect it's had on my children has been profound.

I'll stop rambling

Normal service will be resumed shortly

Until then.... London thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    I couldn't agree more. I feel very emotional and so very proud.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I could see, given the horrid coverage, The United Kingdom has nothing to be BUT proud! Not only of the incredible country, and the fabulous "job" they did in bringing the Olypics to London and the people, but the athletes themselves.

Who among us didn't cheer ourselves hoarse for Mo, and who didn't get seriously weepy eyed when Tom was swept into the water post dive by the team!

Amazing stuff. Happy with the performance of the US women's relay, must admit that! Ached for those who fell, for those who had other issues that prevented them from doing, or showing or being their best while the world watched. But ultimately, any athlete there had nothing at all to be ashamed of. They were the best their country had, and should hold their heads high.

So, I too say, "Thank you London."

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Utterly gutted that it's over, to be honest. Luckily, the stories remain. And what amazing stories they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only negative thing I can say about the Olympics is there was waaaaay too much butt crack!! I have never seen so much in all my life!!

Other than that they were amazing!! As Tink said, our coverage kind of stunk, but I did enjoy what we were able to see. At one point Katelyn asked if the Olympics were only for Volleyball She did get to see some of the rhythmic gymnastics, and she was pretty excited about that

A job well done to all!! Only 18 months to go!

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast