Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Post Thanks / Like
    get my negativity out of the way early Not something I'm personally interested in and around here the feeling is that it's something happening down in London and nothing much to do with us other than being on the tv all the time. A huge financial gamble at a time when we can't afford it and as much as I'm sure figures will come out to persuade us that it made money, I can't see it myself. Of course many will argue it's about more than money and though I'd personally argue we could've spent it better elsewhere whilst achieving a more countrywide benefit, that's just a point to debate.

*BUT* I do want to say this. We did win it for the UK, we ARE hosting it, we've already spent the money so the time to be grumpy about it, if there was such a time, is now well over.

We're SO hard on ourselves as a country we truly are. Every little mistake is held up as the end of the world and worse we seem to relish the bad. I'm not sure I can think of another country which is so consistently down about itself. It does us no good internationally and nationally I'm sure it makes us all more fed up and depressed.

I think this is the first time in any games that people will be able to see every minute of every event (it seems incredible but I'm sure I heard that said and all the new bbc channels seem to support it). That's just mind blowingly good and should allow people to see many new events!

We now have to all get behind it and hope that everyone both tourists and native UKers, whether there in person have an absolutely awesome time!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 286412
    Thats ages away - keep the fluids up and the paracetamol/ibuprofen and I'll keep everything crossed for you
    on antibiotics and paracetamol but im a mess just cried reading this cause i think im gonna miss it and have been so excited about this for more than 12 months :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you feel better soon Ann

I'm the same as Kate, not because of the soaps though

It's costing a lot of money and I don't think this Country is going to get the income from it that they hoped.

On the news last night they were saying that they haven't even sold all the tickets for the opening ceremony tonight, so rather than have empty seats they are going to give them away.

I may watch some of the opening ceremony tonight, but that will be it I'm afraid

I'm just glad we've got Sky :)

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 286410
    like skywatcher until tuesday i was so excited went to see the torch relay watched it on the tv and was supposed to be going to the olympic park to watch basketball on sunday afternoon but have been struck down with tonsilitus and been really ill so off work im gutted :( i keep hoping tomorrow i will feel human again so be able to tackle sunday but im not hopeful :(
    we were so excited to get usa match tickets :(
    Lots of fluids, rest, vitamin c also go and see your pharmacist for advice on what you can take to make you feel a little better. Hope you feel better soon

I'm really excited, disapointed to not be going but Jon was on a leave ban any way. Will enjoy watching as much as I can!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 286400
    This time tomorrow I will be in the O2 arena watching the men's gymnastics live!

That is amazing. I'm dead jealous :)

I love the Olympics. I love the fanfare, the stories, the athletes - I love it all. I have loved it since I was a little girl tumbling around in our living room pretending I was an Olympic gymnast and using our large Persian area rug as the mat for my magnificient "floor routine." I would stand at the corner, salute, and go cartwheeling across the room until my mother nearly sold me to the circus (her exact words after one particularly amusing "vault" off the arm of the couch, using her mini trampoline as a springboard).

I have a soft spot for these particular Olympics as they are in the UK, where so many of my friends are (from here of course!). I remember YEARS ago, when it was first decided that the Olympics would be in London, Dawn and I joking about myself (and half the rest of the discussion forum) coming over and taking up residence in her house so we could attend. And, even though things didn't quite work out the way we dreamed them, there is still a measure of magic in remembering the dream. So, yes, I'll be watching every day.

OOH! Also, a dear friend's niece is competing on the women's Archery team for the USA, so I'll be watching her as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 286415
    on antibiotics and paracetamol but im a mess just cried reading this cause i think im gonna miss it and have been so excited about this for more than 12 months :(
    The amount of time youve got is a lot when taking antibiotics! Positive thinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Danny Boyle take a bow.

What an awesome inspiring humbling hilarious epic celebration if being British that was.

I am not ashamed to admit I was on the verge of tears throughout.

Other nations may not get it

But that was truely superb

Surely even the most hardened cynic must have raised a smile at that.

Bejing was a display of perfect control in more ways than one.

London was a display of pure class, bonkers humour and epic cool.

Frankly I couldn't care less if anyone disagrees ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Good evening Mr Bond!

Post Thanks / Like
    Watching it here at 8 with friends...having an Opening Ceremony/Opening Vodka party :)

Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Olympics!

Really liked the Opening Ceremony :)

How exciting to have it happening in your country!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast