Thread: My Amazing Olympic Experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After much heartache trying to obtain tickets, yesterday, my DH & I finally got to go to the Olympics! As Stratford is only 20 minutes away from where we live we have been excited for years (my son was involved in the initial bid when he was only 6!). I have been following these games avidly and couldn't believe I was finally going.
    [ATTACH]12333.vB[/ATTACH]

Was amazed to find no one else on our train!!

Firstly we went to Canary Wharf where some of the team boats were moored.

[ATTACH]12334.vB[/ATTACH]

The German Team boat.

And also the Octopus Yacht, apparently valued at 130 million. Very impressive.
    [ATTACH]12335.vB[/ATTACH]

After enjoying the sunshine, and a couple of glasses of wine, we caught the Docklands Light Railway back to Stratford for the main event of the day. The Olympic stadium and the Orbit are right next to the train line as you approach Stratford.

[ATTACH]12336.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12337.vB[/ATTACH]

Crowds were heavy but everything was so well signposted and so many volunteers showing you the way we were soon inside and wandering around the park. Much to my joy we were strolling along next to Mark Owen (from Take That), which just added to the excitement! We queued for a while to go into the shop where we bought a pin and a flag and then headed over to the stadium to take our seats for 7pm start.

We had no choice of where to sit when we ordered our tickets and as I suffer from vertigo I was very anxious as we had been given row 72 - 4 rows from the top! I had worried about this, but head down I climbed the stairs, huffing and puffing, until we got to the top. It was fine - not too steep and I was able to sit, stand and jump around without fear of falling!!

[ATTACH]12338.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12341.vB[/ATTACH]

Firstly we watched the womens high jump, then the men's javelin.

[ATTACH]12339.vB[/ATTACH]
    Remote control minis collected the javelins - I really want one of those!

Tension was building for Mo Farrah's 5000m and the cheers were so loud when he entered the stadium
    [ATTACH]12340.vB[/ATTACH]
    Get set

The roof nearly lifted off when he went to the front, I was shouting and couldn't hear myself and when he won I couldn't stop crying - so exciting and so emotional, I have never experienced anything like it.

[ATTACH]12342.vB[/ATTACH]
    GO MO GO!

Almost before we knew it, it was time for the 4 X 100 men's relay and Ussain Bolt's appearance made the crowd go mad again. He is such a legend and we were all willing him, and his team, to break a world record - and they did.

[ATTACH]12343.vB[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]12344.vB[/ATTACH]

Everyone in the stadium was having a great evening with a definate feeling of 'I was there!' a night I will never forget. The evening ended with more tears as we saw the medal ceremonies for all the events, with the loudest singing of 'God Save the Queen' I have ever heard.

[ATTACH]12345.vB[/ATTACH]
    Mo gets his 2nd GOLD

All too soon it was time to go, and lucky us......it took us less than an hour to get home from our seats, but was awake late reliving my experiences - too excited to sleep!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Montymouse