Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inspired by Jazmine. The American Way of Life?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's very true SazzleDazzle. I used to be the director of a small rural library. I went to a Librarian's Conference in Omaha, Nebraska (I was living in the northeast). When I said I was from a rural library, one of the librarians from Nebraska asked me how close the next town was. I replied that it was minutes away. His reply? The closest town to me is FIVE HUNDRED MILES away! THAT'S rural.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 31805
    Isn't that the one set in Texas? LOL, I think my girlfriend watches it!

In a word? I'd say frenetic. Not to paint our entire culture with one brush, but do you know that I actually found myself *apologizing* to my neighbor a few days ago because Jon and I decided *not* to allow Baleigh to participate in "Pop Warner" Cheerleading. She couldn't understand why we thought it was a bad idea. Practices Mon - Thur from 5:00 til 8:30 and then games all day on Saturday? And she couldn't *understand*? On top of that, her daughter takes gymnastics and a hip-hop dance class (when, I have NO idea). So I found myself actually apologizing for not being willing to commit my child to *anything* so demanding. When did this become acceptable? Our children are overscheduled, overwrought and overstimulated...and I'm not sure we're doing them any favors. As adults we seem to be constantly running hither and yon...always a deadline, always an appointment...

So in a word...I think the "American Way of Life" has become very hurried.

I completely agree. I think many are doing a diservice to their kids by not letting them have any free time to just be kids. I also think that many of the toys are great but they don't let a kid use their imagination and kids just don't seem to be able to entertain themselves. Something is always entertaining them. I never signed Alysia up for much because I actually enjoy spending time with my child. She did soccer and cheereading but the practices were not so rigid and demanding. Shoot, I tell her now that she doesn't need to get a job if she doesn't want to. She has the rest of her life to work. Just enjoy being a kid.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammiepo, post: 32078
    Taja, wish I had your way with words.:p015: You and Tink should start your own books. I for one would sure buy them.
    Awwwww! Thanks, Grammiepo!

Tink can communicate rings around me, though! I usually look at her thoughtful comments and responses and think: "Yep! What she said!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123