Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Paralympics

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 291258

Thank you, I'm going to think about this one, I'm divided.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think if you read it she's not saying that the Olympics are any less impressive , just the achievement of the paralympians goes far beyond sporting endeavour

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 291261
    Think if you read it she's not saying that the Olympics are any less impressive , just the achievement of the paralympians goes far beyond sporting endeavour
    i see that, and i guess it takes a special person to say right ok i can't do all these things but i'm going to adapt and i'm going to achieve this goal. However sportsmen/women go through a great deal to achieve their goals and the sacrifices they make are also incredible. Not all people with disabilities will have what it takes to become an athlete likewise not all able bodied person will have what it takes to be an athlete. Saying this i do feel uncomfortable saying it because the overwhelming feeling i have is admiration for the paralympians, mainly because I think if something dreadful happened to me i would curl up in a ball, i don't think i could do what these people do. They all have overcome adversity and had to deal with not only physical problems but with discrimination and not being treated as equals. The old does she have sugar in her tea syndrome! Also, do they want our admiration in that way? or do they want us to see them just as athletes and not as people with disabilities. We seem to need that back story or people to be a really nice person for their achievements to be admirable, take Andy Murray for example, is this the X-factor syndrome? LOL I was thinking earlier about how great it would be in the future if there were no paralympics and it was held together albeit with different classes. I think it would be a logistical nightmare LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been the happiest summer of my life and an utter joy to share it with my family. Not sure I will ever feel patriotism like it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    David Weir !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 291271
    David Weir !
    A perfect end to the Paralympics. Plus silver for Shelly Woods in the women's marathon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote keep the para's separate and always host them here ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234