Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you drive to Disney...

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this has been discussed in the past, but would any of you think of driving to WDW, even if it was quite a drive?

I've really come to this point where I hate flying. It has nothing to do with the flying part, but with the fees, security, and I absolutely despise taking off my shoes. Instead of expecting the world to change, I'm thinking of driving during my next trip (not that I have one planned...yet).

vs

Post Thanks / Like
    We been driving to Fla for more then 20yrs .It takes us 24hrs we stop in Va.or N C
    I love to drive and to take my family it is cheeper to drive You have to watch out
    for price gougeing on gas We only use well lit stations at night and dont travel to
    far off of rt 95 take a chance drive once

Have Fun Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    We drove We love it and had a wonderful time

I think straight it would take us around 22 hours or so, but since we have little ones (and Mama was 3 or 4 months pregnant), we split it up into smaller pieces. It also gave us time to stop and see a few things on the way, like South of the Border!

Other random perks:

Bringing our own water, soda, juice
    We were able to bring extra clothes, shoes etc. without worry
    We got to buy whatever we wanted without having to worry about bringing it on the plane (oh and as much as we wanted )

I'm sure there are a ton of other things, but that should be enough for now..are you sold yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    How far do you have to travel Billie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have driven in the past (from NY). It's a good way to go if you don't want to fly for any reason. Trains can be another good alternative if they work for you. They are no where near as reliable as driving yourself though.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another vote for driving!

We live about an 8 hour drive away from WDW and I wouldn't even dream of doing anything but driving. I enjoy the drive and by now, we've done it so often that we have all our little landmarks on the way. That helps break the trip up some. But beyond that, it's nice to just motor down the highway and actually see the scenery instead of soaring high above it. It's faster to fly but driving to us has it's own special charm.

Tom (... race ya!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We drive most of the time. From home, if we go straight to WDW it takes about 14-15 hours. Since I've gotten older I really don't like to drive that long so we normally break it into 2 parts. We've also taken the Auto Train in one direction (coming home) but will be doing it in both directions next month. If we don't drive straight through we normally stop somewhere in NC (if we leave after work) or around Santee, SC. If we are going to stop at Donna's mom's on the way to WDW then, if we get an early start, we'll drive straight through to her house in No. FL. However, she is talking about moving to Mississippi to be near her sister so that would eliminate that stop.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread reminds me of a reputedly true story that came from one of the employees at Manchester airport.

Apparently an old couple rolled up at the airport to take their first flight to the U.S.
    On arriving at the airport they asked where they should put their car and they were then given direstions to the car park.
    "But we are going on a fly drive holiday" the old guy replied, blissfully unaware that this didn`t involve him taking his car over the pond with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Google map says it would be between 19-20 hours.

Good to know that I wouldn't be the only crazy one out there driving.

I had thought about amtrak, but from where I'm at they would drive me all the way up to Chicago, IL and then back down to FL. That would be a lot of back tracking. Not to mention, I had a friend ride amtrak recently and she said the bathrooms were disgusting (and she rode long distance).

Even though I drove 17 hours to get here I don't think I could do that again, so I would have to break it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's 12 hours from my house to WDW. We've driven plenty of times. I prefer to fly. When I drive, I take forever cause I have to stop and look at everything

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast