Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Daytona 500 Trip - Take Two - Pre-trippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year we decided that we would like to take my dad to see the Daytona 500. He has always loved Nascar and in 2006 we booked the Richard Petty drive along for him. What he really wanted to do though was to watch a race so, found it, booked it.......off we go!
    Well yes, that would have been great if the first attempt at the Daytona 500 hadn't been cancelled due to rain. It was eventually decided that it would be run the next evening, but dad decided that he was not going to go running back over there as he and mum had got drenched the day before and just didn't feel up to it.

Not knowing when / if I would ever be able to get him back there, I just and thought it wasn't to be.

Fast forward to August this year and several of my friends were posting trip reports and I started to get the itch, however I really didn't think to much about it as although Alans business is doing ok, it's not really stretching to Disney money. Then a few days ago he got an call and an unexpected bonus, so hopefully......

Daytona take 2 here we go!!!

We are just waiting confirmation of contract, but it's looking pretty good so far

If it all goes ahead the plan is;

13th - 27th Feb
    Flight with Virgin or BA
    OKW 2 bedroom Villa
    DDP - Free
    Daytona 500 24th Feb (rain pending!)

I am not telling anyone else until it is all booked and paid for as mum and dad have resigned themselves to never going back again, so I want it to be a big surprise for them.

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    You are an incredible daughter! I hope the weather cooperates for this running of the Daytona 500! I know that the rescheduling is havoc on schedules.

Hoping all goes as planned for you this time!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't follow NASCAR but would love to see the Daytona 500 at least once. Hope it all works out for you this year.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely brilliant news I will keep everything crossed for the contract to come back signed

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Pack them ponchos and umbrellas! We have NASCAR races here in Richmond twice a year and it almost always rains on the Saturday race. I have never been to one as I don't watch NASCAR but I know a lot of people who do go and they just love it. What a great surprise for your parents!! Fingers crossed that it will all work out!!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou all!

Johnie, they got so wet at this years race that the even the tickets disintegrated! In fairness Daytona Raceway did say they would let them in the next day as I have an account number, but they both just felt so rough after spending all day in the wet and cold.

I really hope it works out for us. Would it be bad to make some dining ressies even though I haven't actually booked yet?

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant Nicki! really pleased for you

Post Thanks / Like
    No, hon, I would go ahead and book the dining ADR's. You can cancel if you don't go.

Ugh yeah and it can be cold and miserable in Feb when it rains. At least our races here are in May and September when it's warm/hot.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Have had a look and almost everything is ok, except Le Cellier which is full of course!
    I'll just have to keep trying, have never managed to eat there!

Nicki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast