Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What a morning... NOT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any news yet?
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    Some news this morning. Off to the hematologist yesterday for testing. She did a thorough exam and more blood work.

I may actually be running short of blood at this point. Or so it seems.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that my numbers are trending up. She couldn't see any particular reason why they may have been low in the first place. Other than the low white count numbers, I seem to be perfectly healthy. No recent colds, fevers, or anything else that the low white count could be attributed to. She's got some additional test results coming back today that couldn't be done in the office lab so we'll see if they say anything different. Other than that, she's indicating that we'll take a wait and see approach. I've got another appointment with her on Monday for yet more blood tests. If nothing else surfaces and the numbers continue to trend upward, she seems to be of the opinion at this point that I might have gotten some kind of viral infection somewhere that didn't produce any noticeable symptoms other than the low white count.

So, while nothing definitive yet, at least it doesn't seem to be dire at this point. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Thanks for everyone's concern.

Tom (... of the better blood.)

Post Thanks / Like
    So pleased that its looking more positive.
    When I first read this thread I must say my heart sank, but it looks like all our positive thought have done a good job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pleased that it is looking much more positive

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzy, post: 292369
    So pleased that its looking more positive.
    When I first read this thread I must say my heart sank, but it looks like all our positive thought have done a good job.
    Thanks lozzy!

Yes, when this first came up, my mind started racing to recent events here on Secrets also. My terror yesterday before going to the hematologist was palpable. After the appointment however, my relief was like a cool drink on a hot day. While nothing is definitive yet, I'm feeling so much better about things.

Never underestimate the power of good thoughts and good wishes!

Tom (... grateful...)

Post Thanks / Like
    So very glad to hear the positive update, Tom. Will continue to send good thoughts and vibes your way!! Keep the good news coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly glad to hear that things are trending on the positive side Tom.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank goodness Tom :)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry for not really answering fully before and I really hope you didn't take my comment about 50c says its going up the wrong way.

I don't really like giving medical info out on here as its not really ethical and I'd hate to say the wrong thing. 99% of low white counts are benign and are due to intercurrent viral infcetions/drug reactions that causes a temporary supression in the marrow - the low white counts that people hear about and are scared about are invariably secondary to treatment sych as chemo.

Low lymphocytes , which are often to blame have a habit of occuring in middle aged chaps - they are of little consequece but as they are low they make the count as a whole look much lower than it is.

Glad all is well buddy , and always happy to chat with you via PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 292392
    I am so sorry for not really answering fully before and I really hope you didn't take my comment about 50c says its going up the wrong way.

I don't really like giving medical info out on here as its not really ethical and I'd hate to say the wrong thing. 99% of low white counts are benign and are due to intercurrent viral infcetions/drug reactions that causes a temporary supression in the marrow - the low white counts that people hear about and are scared about are invariably secondary to treatment sych as chemo.

Low lymphocytes , which are often to blame have a habit of occuring in middle aged chaps - they are of little consequece but as they are low they make the count as a whole look much lower than it is.

Glad all is well buddy , and always happy to chat with you via PM
    Chris,

No worries at all mate. I would never ask nor expect you to dispense medical advice either here publicly on the forum or via PM.

However, I do like the statistic indicating that 99% are benign. Of course, from my minds perspective there was still that 1%. Perpetual "glass is more than half empty" kind of thing.

But back on track now and feeling significantly better about things. Also, quite impressed with the hematologist I've been lucky enough to get. I'm in a happier place today!

Tom (... deep breaths. In goes the good air and out comes the bad air.)

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast