Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving an employment position early...

Post Thanks / Like
    ....has anyone chosen to leave a place of employment recently after being hired?

My current position is not going to financially cut it, given my desire to have a healthy life/work balance and pay my school loans. It appears that I would need to work 55-60 hours at my current position in order to financially make it, and that's without benefits. I believed that the pay discussed was due to working a normal 40 hour work week, come to find out it's much more.

I have another opportunity that I'm looking into, however, I'm not sure what to say to my current employer as I've only been here about 2 months. Not to mention, they are really nice.

I am signed up to work here a year, but with written notice I can leave.

All suggestions are welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking as an employer, the sooner you say the better .. although of course I can understand you wouldn't want to talk yourself out of a position until you were sure of having another!

Although it feels like a very personal thing to you, actually it's business! It's a contract for you do X in return for Y. Nothing more or less than that. So as long as you're not breaking any contract, you're free to do whatever you need to do.

The question is just how to do it as nicely and professionally as possible. So that is all the common sense stuff. Soon as you possibly can, speak to your employer. Explain your position. They may offer a compromise and you're free to accept or not of course :) failing that, if you can give them as much notice as possible that'll help them. Explain that you understand they'll be disappointed you're leaving so soon but you don't have a choice.

If they're in any way professional, they'll shake your hand, wish you all the best and thank you for giving them as much time to find a replacement as possible. If they get a bit nasty or snarky well then just remember that you should still stay professional even if they're not but don't get all wishy washy about it and make offers to do this or that which would be hard for you to keep.

End of the day, it's just business and if things were reversed and they had to let you go, they'd do it!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd make sure that the other position pays what you need and then tell them the truth that you understood that it was for 40 hours and you can't financially afford to stay with them. As Keith said don't agree to things because you feel guilty and because they are nice.

I hope you can sort something out

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to do what is best for yourself. Give the appropriate amount of notice, thank them for the opportunity and move on. At the end of the day, only you can look after yourself.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I once left a position after three months. It was not intended (any more than yours was) and was done with complete professional regard for my working reputation and my own personal mental comfort. I gave the appropriate notice. Worked it out with good grace (no mental checking out beforehand) and went on to the next position.

As Keith says, it's business. Secure the other position, being sure you understand all the details, then give your notice. Alternately, you can let them know you are looking and why, and that you'll keep them updated as you progress.

It's unfortunate that the terms of employment were not clearer. You drove a long way by yourself to take this position!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everyone, make sure that you the other position offers you exactly what you want before making any decision. Be professional and honest, but you do have to think of yourself. I know how you're feeling, it's almost like you're letting them down, but they won't think any less of you as long as your're nice about it. You never know if you tell them why your are leaving they may offer you a better package.

Good luck my lovely.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I've been stressing over this for a while now and sometimes it's good to get outside of my own head. Stressing about money and time is exhausting. I do feel like I would be letting them down. It does feel like a personal situation, even though I do know it is business. I have concern over my clients as well. Therapy can be stressing enough, especially when you add a change in therapist, however, I feel that if I were to work those 55 hours a week I would be unable to give my clients 100% anyway.

I do have an interview for one position and am excited. I believe it is on Thursday. I will keep everyone updated. If I should get it, it would only be an 8.5 hour drive away...not 17 hours like this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! I got nothing more to add just to say that others are right. It is business after all

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a sec, a 17 hour drive? An 8.5 hour drive? Can you clarify that? I can't even imagine!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I had around a 17 hour drive to get to Missouri. If I should get this new job the move would be around 8.5 hours. Does that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast