Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Cook Currency Card

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time you might have problems is if they aren't American Express travellers cheques.

Some exchanges still use the visa travellers cheques and these aren't accepted everywhere.

I always make sure they are Amex. Although this time we took cash and only a few cheques as we used our Nationwide cc for supermarket shopping and gifts. We got a better exchange rate than when I bought the cheques and currency. The way I look at it is, I'm not spending on food etc at home so I use it whilst we are away.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use the Post Office for currency and travellers cheque. To be honest, unless you are changing huge sums of money, the differences in the exchange rates is no more than a few pounds for the average tourist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 294361
    I always use the Post Office for currency and travellers cheque. To be honest, unless you are changing huge sums of money, the differences in the exchange rates is no more than a few pounds for the average tourist.
    That's true too... it's probably not enough to really stress over for sure
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 294361
    that's true but a couple of pounds victory over companies makes me feel good. It becomes an obsession LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine who used to work for Thomas Cook said that all the staff are told to push the currency card and they will earn commission. Also the problem is that those staff that have never been to the Orlando are told that TC are being fazed out and those that know better are told to keep stum. It's just shameless sales tactics that really shouldn't be allowed. For those people who are going for the first time and don't use forums like this, won't know any different and will trust Thomas Cook to give them the best advise. I really hate dishonesty.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    i've emailed Watchdog, grrrr

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely awful tactics for sure but I wondered one thing, why are we all so against these cards?? As Dawn said, the fair fx card works great, I'm sure the thomas cook would too? it's easier to carry around, easy to block if lost, easy to replace... So why are we still bothering with cash/TC anyway? is it mistrust of the acceptance of the card or?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 294383
    Absolutely awful tactics for sure but I wondered one thing, why are we all so against these cards?? As Dawn said, the fair fx card works great, I'm sure the thomas cook would too? it's easier to carry around, easy to block if lost, easy to replace... So why are we still bothering with cash/TC anyway? is it mistrust of the acceptance of the card or?
    that's rather deep for a Tuesday night. I guess i don't trust them, have heard horror stories of them not working, suffering fraud etc and people being stranded with no money. Granted i don't think you should ever take all your money in one way and also i think it's a bit irresponsible to not have a back up when you travel abroad just in case. I don't know who guarantees the money? is it actually guaranteed? never really looked at it as it hasn't appealed. I also don't want to be controlled by a company who must be making money out of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 294383
    I think it fear. For us having a different currency kinda make it 'real' for us.

Also easier to budget I.e take so much cash with us and leave the rest in a safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly think there's something to being excited to get a new currency.. kinda makes the holiday more real.

I must admit, I dont know if the money on those cards is guaranteed by anyone :/ so perhaps that's a valid issue. Perhaps next time they moan at us to get one, we should ask them that!

We've always just got the cash and done the rest on a credit card which we pay off when we get back. My theory has always been that the TCs could be awkward but no one moans about cash and if the credit card gets scammed, it's not *REALLY* my money they've taken ;-) I'll argue till the cows come home before I pay a credit card bill that's got stuff I havent bought on it (compared with a debit card where I have to rely on being nice to the bank and hoping they give me the money back).

So I guess for us TCs would be adventurous, and for the TC people the currency card seems adventurous all about what you know and feel secure with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast