Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas Cakes and Goodies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr Deb doesn't have a sweet tooth, and we don't really have many visitors at Christmas, so there is no real need for me to bake. It would just go to waste (or I would have to eat it all myself and get fat!) I love Christmas cake and I used to make my own every year, but now my Mam makes me one every year instead - I think she likes giving her kids their cakes each year. It always brings back warm memories of me helping her bake the cakes each year as it was a huge event in our house That smell of the cake baking in the oven, mingled with scorched brown paper (for anyone who doesn't know, the cake tin is wrapped in brown paper before it goes in the oven) is just wonderful :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wendy, do you actually make your own mincemeat? From scratch?

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 294745
    Wendy, do you actually make your own mincemeat? From scratch?
    Yes I do, you can't beat homemade mincemeat :D The recipe I've got is really old, it was my Nans and I used to love her mince pices. What I make this year will be enough for this Christmas and next year. The longer it ferments the nicer it is :D

I use it for pies and also something else my nan used to make, which is a pastry case with the mince in the bottom and then you cover it with a sponge mixture and bake it in the oven - similar to a bakewell tart. It's delicious hot with brandy sauce or custard.

I was reminded yesterday that I haven't started pickling onions or making piccalilli and red cabbage yet I spoil that husband of mine

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 294746
    Yes I do, you can't beat homemade mincemeat :D The recipe I've got is really old, it was my Nans and I used to love her mince pices. What I make this year will be enough for this Christmas and next year. The longer it ferments the nicer it is :D

I use it for pies and also something else my nan used to make, which is a pastry case with the mince in the bottom and then you cover it with a sponge mixture and bake it in the oven - similar to a bakewell tart. It's delicious hot with brandy sauce or custard.

I was reminded yesterday that I haven't started pickling onions or making piccalilli and red cabbage yet I spoil that husband of mine
    It all sounds so yummy. My mom used to make piccalilli but the only red cabbage I have eaten is the German version. I love mince meat, but no one else seems to like it. :(

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to do a lot of baking for the holidays with 7 kids! I still make about 10 kinds of cookies along with homemade candy and a yule log. My favorite is the homemade Brioche for Christmas morning.But I still have the baking for Thanksgiving to do if I'm able. Wendy, what kind of Christmas cake do you make or puddings?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12