Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything is A-ok here in Upstate. A small amount of wind damage here and there and lots without power, but overall not too bad here. We are very happy we didn't take on any water. That was our big fear. It is windy today, and it looks like we will get more rain, but the sun actually came out today which was a welcome sight!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you guys are ok....looked pretty bad in NY and New England. Jersey was trashed so much desctruction. The scale of this thing was incredible! I was on the phone to my brother in Nazareth, PA (north of Philly). We were both getting hurricane strength gusts but our winds at the time were from the west, his was from the east and he is about 500 miles away from us here in souther VA. Blows my mind. I have never seen such a large event.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a wild 36 hours, my sister lives in Rockaway and did not evacuate as she should have. The distance between the bay and Ocean is minimal and it didn't take long for them to meet. I spoke to her last night and the water was about five feet deep and moving fast and they had already lost power. She seemed a little nervous at that time. When I checked in with her an hour or so later later she was in a state of panic because several nearby houses including the one directly behind her were engulfed in flames and the 70 mph winds were blowing the embers in the direction of her house. She didn't know wether to grab her 14&16 year old kids and hit the water. I told her not to leave unless the house was on fire that water would be equally dangerous. The Fire dept could not get to the fires due to the depth of the water. At this time her phone died. For the next hour I was afraid that they may have not made it. About 4am she called me from her daughters phone and said the water had subsided to less than a foot and that although her basement was flooded to its ceiling the house never caught fire and that they were safe. At about 1pm I was able to make the trip to her house and what I saw was the 2nd worst thing I have ever seen(ground zerobeing first). The roads were caked with debris cars were abandoned everywhere, the entire town reeked of smoke and everyone had that scared and empty look in their eyes. I took my niece and nephew with me and my sister and husband stayed behind for now to clean up and to help their neighbors. My mother lives in Chelsea and has no power so she is also with me now. 7 of us right now in a small apt with the possibility of a couple more showing up tomorrow but I feel blessed that my family made it through. I have a feeling that the death toll in the city is going to grow in the coming days when every home is checked, a fellow officer with the NYPD drowned in his own house last night trying to save his loved ones. The city will recover over time but this storm will not be forgotten.As for me I have power and suffered no damage to any of my property... Very lucky and extremely grateful

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so glad you have been able to check in, I've been worried about you

I'm sorry to hear about your colleague :( I'm not surprised you were worried about your sister and family, it's good that they are all safe and I hope the damage to their home isn't too bad.

Be safe out there when you go back to work

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    My goodness Butterhead. I don't really know what to say. That's just horrific. I am so very glad that you and your extended family are safe and have lived through this

Post Thanks / Like
    Butterhead...no words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness, Butterhead, I'm so glad to hear that your family is safe now.
    Thank you for checking in, I was thinking of you whilst watching the news. I am sorry to hear the sad news of your colleague.
    Take care and stay safe.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you and your family are OK. So sorry to hear about your colleague.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning devastation.

Glad you and your family are all right but so sorry about your brother officer. May he rest in peace.

Tom (... unbelievable!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My goodness Butterhead, what a roller coaster of emotions. I am truly sorry for your loss and am thankful your family is safe.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast