Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to a Firework Display

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a firework display tonight on Plymouth Hoe, so we will possibly go down to the pier the otherside of the Hoe to watch them or if it's too cold, we'll sit in our bedroom and watch them from the warm It won't be the same as being there, but we get to see all the large ones in the sky and we can hear the bangs and pops.

Anyone else going out tonight or was there something on at the weekend that you went to?

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    We went to Ascot racecourse on Saturday for their display. I'm not a fan of fireworks set to music for Bonfire night celebrations but these were quite good as they used music from the movies as a theme.

Last night we went to a more traditional display at my friend's children's school, it's become a bit of a tradition over the years and we go to their house first for Jacket spuds and then back there after the display for dessert and sparklers, it's always a nice evening!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you had a good weekend Lisa, I'd prefer the baked spuds, dessert and sparklers event

When I was little, we had friends that lived in Bracknell, close to the hospital and we used to go and see them every year for Bonfire Night. There was a huge display with a big bonfire and it was a real community event, with hot dogs, toasted marshamallows and baked spuds. Now with all the health and safety you wouldn't be allowed to toast marshmallows

I'm really missing the old days just lately

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 295974
    Now with all the health and safety you wouldn't be allowed to toast marshmallows

I'm really missing the old days just lately
    How true that is.
    I remember when I was a lad our "gang" used to collect wood for a bonfire weeks before the big day and there was a lot of rivalry and stealing wood to and from the other lads in the nearby area.
    The bonfire was lit in an open area very close to the terraced houses where we lived.
    In those days we used to dare each other to see how long we could hold a "banger" before throwing it away, and setting off a "jumping jack" near to the girls resulted in a sight to behold....and a lot of screaming.
    When the fire was dying down we used to bake potatoes....they never taste good unless they are burnt black!

It makes you wonder how I lived to be the age that I am if you listen to all of the Health and Safety drum beaters that are around today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it Guy Fawkes you are talking about? Do you not call it Guy Fawkes Day any longer? We were once in UK at EPCOT (can't remember how many years ago) for Guy Fawkes Day and they were handing out little scarecrow like dolls on sticks.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 295981
    Is it Guy Fawkes you are talking about? Do you not call it Guy Fawkes Day any longer? We were once in UK at EPCOT (can't remember how many years ago) for Guy Fawkes Day and they were handing out little scarecrow like dolls on sticks.
    Yep Tink, "bonfire night" is based on the burning of a guy [aka Guy [Guido] Fawkes] based on his failed attempt to blow up our Houses of Parliament in the 17th century.

Post Thanks / Like
    we were going to Jon's work for one but i've been ill all weekend so didn't want to stand in the cold damp weather. Going to see some awesome fireworks in a weeks time anyway ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 296005
    we were going to Jon's work for one but i've been ill all weekend so didn't want to stand in the cold damp weather. Going to see some awesome fireworks in a weeks time anyway ;)
    Hope you feel better soon and rub it in why don't you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 296007
    Hope you feel better soon and rub it in why don't you
    well you've just been! it's not the same really though is it, i see the two as totally different. Like Lisa i think it's just wrong to have music with bonfire day fireworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 296009
    well you've just been! it's not the same really though is it, i see the two as totally different. Like Lisa i think it's just wrong to have music with bonfire day fireworks
    I agree about the music and fireworks on bonfire night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast