Thread: Explain the dining plans?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im lost! I thought it was as simple as adding THE dining plan but when we phoned there are now many different types and they dont all include the gratuity :(

Does anyone have a run down of the plans available?

Do you all think the dining plan works out well for saving money or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...here is a "quick and dirty" description of each:

The Basic Dining Plan is $37.99 (plus tax) for guests ages 10 and up, $9.99 (plus tax) for ages 3-9. This plan includes three "credits" per person, per night of your stay; one table-service credit, one counter-service credit*, and one snack credit**. As opposed to years past when the Dining Plan included an appetizer and gratuity for the table-service credit, this credit now only includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic drink.

The Deluxe Dining Plan is $69.99 (plus tax) for guests ages 10 and up and $19.99 (plus tax) for guests ages 3-9. The Deluxe Dining Plan includes three meal credits per person, per night of your stay. These credits can be used for either table or counter service*. Credits used as table-service include an appetizer, entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic drink. The Deluxe Dining Plan also includes two snack credits** per person, per night of stay; plus one refillable mug per person.

*Counter-service meals on either plan provide an entree, dessert, regular soft drink, and sales tax.

**Snack credits can be used, in general for any single serve item such as a soft drink, baked item, ice cream, fries, or a Dole Whip. (A general rule of thumb is that, typically, any single serve item under $4 is considered a snack). In order to avoid confusion, most eateries and kiosks have these items marked on their menu, but if you unsure, just ask!

Also, Disney now offers the Wine and Dine Plan as an "add-on" for either of the above-mentioned plans. This feature is $39.99 plus tax per night per room. This plan gives you one bottle of wine per room, per night from a select list of wines, at select dining locations. (Please note that wine at Signature restaurants costs two nights' allowance).

Okay, that's the long and short of it....other's will be along shortly I'm sure to add to it...and to give opinions on the pro's and cons...there's a few more "details" I keep thinking of...but at the moment, I'm at work...and I guess I should do a bit of actual work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The dining plan, as such, is a great thing. But it is costly. I'm actually fine that the gratuity is not included any longer. It seemed that when it was included, that the server knew they were getting a tip, no matter how good or bad the service was. This way they have to work a little harder..;)
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with that luv. However, it does add cost to the daily amount needed for the plan. That is what had so many folks complaining when it was changed.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    But to me, that's ok. I'd rather shell out a little extra, than to automatically give money to someone who doesn't really deserve it. That said, we have given extra, when on the dining plan, to servers who have gone above and beyond....
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 33138
    The Deluxe Dining Plan is $69.99 (plus tax) for guests ages 10 and up and $19.99 (plus tax) for guests ages 3-9. The Deluxe Dining Plan includes three meal credits per person, per night of your stay. These credits can be used for either table or counter service*. Credits used as table-service include an appetizer, entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic drink. The Deluxe Dining Plan also includes two snack credits** per person, per night of stay; plus one refillable mug per person.
    How is it possible to eat that much food in one day?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what i thought - I suppose if you were only there a couple of days I like to eat but even I couldn't keep that up for two days let alone two weeks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    And there'd be limited park time because you'd just be going from one restaurant to another.

I'd struggle to eat what you get on the lower priced plan to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 33607
    And there'd be limited park time because you'd just be going from one restaurant to another.

I'd struggle to eat what you get on the lower priced plan to be honest.
    thats what im thinking too. it would be good to budget for it all before going but because tips arent included anymore its not perfect for that either

can you do it for just a few days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneymom, post: 33624
    thats what im thinking too. it would be good to budget for it all before going but because tips arent included anymore its not perfect for that either

can you do it for just a few days?

You have to have the plan for each night of your reservation, and you must book the dining plan as part of a package. That includes room at rack rate, park ticket (at least 1-day base MYW) and dining plan per person in the room. Everyone in the room must be on the same plan.

WDW instituted a change fairly recently for AP holders. They don't have to purchase the extra ticket. I can't remember if it's possible to apply an AP room only discount, but I tend to think not. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong! :)

DVC members also can book the DDP when staying on points.

Edited to add:

You could do a split stay--two separate ressies. One with the package/DDP and the other room only. Link the ressies with the note that they are a continuing reservation if you want to stay in the same room in the same resort.