Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets have a Saturday Thread for a Change

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Karen I'm so sorry it must be very scary for her. You need help and advice like Brit said, here for you when you need help with frustration

Your boy just can't be 17! Where has the time gone.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kazza

We braved the school Christmas fair in the morning. Always a gairy experience but Steven managed to win 6 various chocklit things on the tombola. After that I nipped to Worthing and nearly got blown away doing a bit of Christmas shopping (nearly done). In the afternoon I took Steven to see Nativitiy 2. Adrian refused to come with us. :humbug: Well yeah the film is not going to win any awards it's good for a laugh with the kiddies. We was planning on dinner at Nandos afterwards but Steven decided Frankie and Bennys would be better. It wasn't, so we won't go there again. Last night two fence panels blew down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan came home from Uni without telling us so that has absoultely made my weeekend :-)

Yesterday I ironed and as a treat we had a Indian takeaway and then I sat down with a glass of wine (or two) and watched my very favourite programme, Strictly :-) then X Factor then I'm a Celeb, a proper night of reality TV

Today we are packing for our upcoming trip and getting all Kyle's stuff sorted as he will be staying with his nan while were away.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished getting the outside holiday decorations up and then the DW and I went to see "Lincoln". I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Tom (... fascinated by the history of it...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 297236
    Finished getting the outside holiday decorations up

Tom (... fascinated by the history of it...)
    Photos please :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kazza, you absolutely did not bring the thread down! If you don't mind my asking a few questions about your mother in law?

Why is she losing her sight? Is there an underlying illness or disease process that will continue to debilitate her? If not, then having a Low Vision agency (Here it is the Agency for the Blind and Low Vision) come in and show her how to get along in her own home would be the first best solution. Removing someone from their home is always fraught with unseen factors (like depression that is exacerbated by feelings of being a burden, loss of control, etc.).

Perhaps, a caregiver can be arranged for part of each day? Again there are agencies here that can provide that sort of in home assistance, so I'm hoping there is something there like that too.

Loss of vision can be very devastating, but does not have to be a permanent tragedy. There are many implements, aids, and mechanical devices that can help someone to accept the situation and then become just as independent as they once were. Many, many people who have low or no vision live by themselves.

Gareth is 17. How can that be? He's just a young boy, isn't he? The inexorable pace of time...

Dawn, what is a tombola????

Catrancher, I think I'd like to see Lincoln. I'm not one for cinemas too often as I find them uncomfortable and smelly but I can be lured into one with the promise of a good film.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 297238
    Photos please :D
    There's really very little to see Wendy. Just some garland over the door frame and a few strings of lights surrounding it. Some lights along the walkway. If I can get a picture of it, it'll have to be at night. During the day, nothing really shows up. I'll see what I can arrange.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 297240
    Catrancher, I think I'd like to see Lincoln. I'm not one for cinemas too often as I find them uncomfortable and smelly but I can be lured into one with the promise of a good film.
    I thought it was excellent Tink.

Day-Lewis as Lincoln has to be an Oscar nomination. I really think he'd be a shoe in for the award this coming year. All throughout my school life, I'd always had a mental image of Lincoln. How he looked. How he sounded. Day-Lewis brought it all to life. It was eerie how accurate he was and how totally in keeping with what I had perceived in my mind's eye.

And the political maneuvering! Somehow I had it in my head that that kind of politics was a relatively recent development. At least since the turn of the 20th century. This movie showed just how naive that viewpoint was. All in all a very enjoyable film and a fascinating glimpse of American history.

Just to prove how enthralled I was, I normally have to make a trip to the facilities at least once during a movie.
    Not this time. I managed to tough it out and sit through the whole thing.

Tom (... liked the movie, asked Santa for the book for Christmas.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Catrancher. Day-Lewis is a terrific actor (at least in the opinion of this house). Loved him in My Left Foot. My sister's favorite actor. She has watched The Last of the Mohicans about a zillion times.

The political parts, not too over the top are they? Politics bore me to death to be honest and I don't want to be sitting through some presidential campaign regardless of how long ago it was!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 297255
    The political parts, not too over the top are they? Politics bore me to death to be honest and I don't want to be sitting through some presidential campaign regardless of how long ago it was!
    No, no. Not at all. It's more like the political maneuvering to get something done in Washington. At least from the Lincoln's perspective. Lincoln was three steps ahead of everyone else in his planning. Without giving away any specifics, what you'll find is it's more like seeing him take some action at one point in the movie, fully knowing that he'd have to use it as ammunition later against his political foes. But of course, it doesn't become obvious until you get to that later spot in the movie.

I don't like the current crop of political maneuvering either but I found this glimpse of it to be fascinating!

Tom (... not a politician. By any stretch of the imagination.)

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. That sounds "safe." I work with someone who has his undergrad in poli-sci and he's fascinated by everything political. I. am. not. :D

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast